Was messing with Marmoset Toolbag 2.0 this morning and I have FINALLY figured out the best method for rendering within it! (still need to bone up on lighting it seems) The following images are of the new setup and should provide a higher quality of image when posting this for showcasing.
I have also been working on a new texture for the gorgane... something I think most of you will like. I will be showing that off when it is in a more complete state. Right now I have about 5 hours left of work on it before it will be ready and final! The goal of the new skin is to make it match more with the rock theme I want for those beasts.
DMW has been hard at work creating the new fireworks. As of now we can fire them from a launching tube. This creates randomized projectile paths as well as height and distance. There is a small issue when the fireworks fire in the same area and bounce off of one another... but this is to be fixed shortly! Once we get the fireworks nice and sexy I will be making a video to showcase as well.
Overall things are going smoothly but have had a small setback since I was deployed to portland. With the ship finally in port I have time to sit down and work on things. So expect to see more stuff within the next few days!
I know we have been rather silent ( except for in chat ) about what is going on with our development so I figured I would take some time to update everybody.
Animation System: Thanks to the help fo all8 and others we are revamping our entire entity/animation system. With the new updates in place we should be able to accommodate advanced animations such as walking with a gun. This process removes our need to make 2 different sets of animations for walking and walking with a gun.
Texture Rework: I have been hard at work with adding in new and improve textures. Some of them are good enough to stay till the end of development; while others will still need some rework. ( Grass ) You can see a sample of the new textures here.:
Another aspect of the texture rework has been adding in normals/speculars for all textures. This process has proven interesting as we allow for specular power as well as specular intensity. You would think the more options you have the better but in reality is makes for some serious issues when a baseline is not established. Here you will see the end result ( so far ) that will be for some of the more common textures:
New Models: I have been pretty slow on this process since I am more or less working on other cosmetic things. The only new models we have so far are trivial ones. I will have more to show in the weeks to come.
Particle System Updates: with another new member joining the team (DMW) we have started work on revamping the particle system. DMW is new to the entire process and has been learning how our current system works. Part of his tasking has been to create a particle system for the New Year video we will be releasing. Once this is complete he will be working on a particle editor that will allow for some advanced modifications to our current particle system.
While he has been working on this, Telanor is attempting to revamp and optimize the particle setup. This has proven difficult but he is slowly making progress each day. For now I will leave you with a screenshot showing of what DMW has completed so far. Till next time!
Posted by riuthamus,
29 October 2013 -
I was trying to make a nice picture for our Halloween celebration, when we found several issues with lighting, normals, emissives, and specular's. Luckily we were able to resolve them and thus the picture you see now!
Posted by riuthamus,
17 October 2013 -
This week has been rather productive. Last weekend I was sitting idle in the chat ( gamedev.net chat that is ) when a few helpful people agreed to view a demo of my game and comment on some issues/concerns I had. Two hours later I had gotten more than an ear full and felt as though we really had something to work with. Thanks to all of those who were there:
and a few others I cant remember off the top of my head. After such a rewarding amount of time was spent in that chat I started to idle there on a more regular basis. Two days ago I was asking people about their work on games and most had replied with "I am making an engine alone". EDI and a few others expressed the ideal nature of working alone but a few had expressed interest in working with a team. The recruiter side of me sparked and I knew I could possibly find some people to possibly fill the gaps in our team. LyGuy and a few others showed initial interest in joining a project and from there I decided to show off what we had. I was more than impressed with what LyGuy had to offer and quickly tried to convince him to join the project. With a bit of conversation and a lot of fun I am proud to announce that LyGuy is one of the newest members to our team.
It would seem that with our new recruit we had struck gold. His networking skills had already netted him a graphical artist named Paul. ( his close friend ) With LyGuy's recent addition to our team he inquired about my desire to have another artist and I quickly responded with "Hell yes!". A few pictures later and a very long Skyp convo and we ha sealed the deal about adding them both to the project. I almost thought it to be too good to be true, but when LyGuy contacted me the next day asking to get started I was more than excited!
I dont have much to show with you the game on this post but I hope to rectify that this weekend with another post/video of what we have done so far. Thanks again for your interesting and please check back this weekend for our newest update.