My name is Alex da Silva Ribeiro, I’m studying analysis and systems development at Fatec-SO in Brazil and I decided to become an indie game developer.
Some things I have considered in making this decision was:
- I love games! – If you don’t love games don’t even think in become an indie game developer.
- I like coding – An indie developer will need do a little of everything in the workflow of a game. Like and don’t have fear of coding will help a lot.
- Currently I don’t need worry about money – Develop a game is complex and take time (of course depends of the game). How the return (financial) is not guaranteed, don’t think in become an indie game developer for the money.
- I’m not lazy to learn new things – This is perhaps one of the most important skills, not only to develop games.
- I’m not an artist – All the art side of the game I will have difficulty or I will not be able to do it, so I will need look at free (free beer!) assets sites.
- I’ve ideas – Everyone that likes to play have an idea of an game, even that an idea don’t worth anything without doing it is the idea that will give the push for the indie game developer go forward, so idea is important in the whole.
A few months ago I started learn Unity3D and is the engine I’ve chosen for started. I’ll start reading the book Unity 3.x Game Development Essentials – Will Goldstone.
PS: Sorry for the bad english.