There's been one thing that's been preventing me from developing my very own game though, and that is motivation. As soon as I'd hit a climbable brick wall I would hide and put my project down, sometimes for a long time until spiders would spin webs on them and they're all covered in dust, ready for the trash can. Now I have decided to finally overcome this problem of mine and produce my own game. So I've set up, what I find, to be a pretty reasonable project for my self that I am pretty confident I can overcome, with some quite hefty problems to solve. I will set deadlines for myself at the end of each week and hopefully update this journal with what's been accomplished during the past week.
In lack of a better name, I've come up with a project name out of the blue: RPG4. To describe this blank canvas, here's a small list of features which I would like to implement into this game.
- Turn-based movement and combat with a lot of strategic planning and ingenious use of your resources.
- Randomly generated maps along with handmade maps and the ability to create your own maps.
- An extensive skill and ability system, allowing you to advance your character in a range of branches. Not just some arbitrary increase in a stat, but skills and abilities that actually do something unique and gives your character... well, character.
- Permanent death. Although the game will be quite hard, dying will not be the first escape you can take. I don't want to cater the game to just hardcore players, but casual players as well that might not think dying of unexpected and / or random causes is very fun. Being able to escape death with other penalties some times also allows me to include a more skills and items to equip your character to the teeth with.
My goals until next week
- Write a comprehensive design document of the fundamental inner workings of the game, such as how the maps and movement will work.
- Set up a loose plan for the following weeks on what should be done.
- Not start coding something that's not really thought through...