Gitin' it done
I got a small GameState system up and running and started with the message box as Ashaman73 pointed out would be smart in my last entry. After a bit of thinking I got the message box worked out just the way I want.
I'm not really satisfied by the font rendering in XNA. I created my own SpriteFont texture of the Consolas font but it's not really there yet. I might try out some different font processors (such as the VectorFont processor in Nuclex Framework) and see if there's any difference for the better.
Here's a demonstration of the message box in the current state: You can set different colours to every single letter, scroll through all the messages and they automaticly wrap depending on the width of the message box.
The next step is the tiles and tile manager. I'm not the greatest artist so I will probably start out using some free sprites to spend the most time actually developing the game. Maybe Oryx's famous Lofi Fantasy set. I would probably be stuck forever trying to create some sprites as I'm pretty much a perfectionist.
If anyone is interested in the source code you could look at it on GitHub. (EDIT: The repository is currently out of date as I'm shifting around some stuff in the project).
I've done a lot of experimenting with tiles before so hopefully this next step will be a fairly quick and painless milestone