Project B - 2013-07-08 Update
Project B game game development
Progress has been going at a good pace, albeit a little more slowly than I had thought. The code that the entire engine runs on has changed, and I've been trying to slowly reintegrate everything. A lot of the low-level graphics code is done. That last little tech demo that I did may not have looked like much, but there were a lot of things going on under the hood. Shaders, textures, post-processing, rendering to a texture, rendering states, blend states, and basic start up code are all in. I've now been developing some of the more high level engine systems. These are the systems that game itself will touch.
I already know what things too make as I'm making exactly what I did before, but it's not as easy as it sounds. For one, as I've been writing this code, I've found that I've also needed to write the code that connects everything together. For example, the last demo that I made uses a temporary framework, but I've had to upgrade that a bit so I it behaves more like than final stuff.
I've also be taking some time to try to upgrade some of the engine's designs. From my own personal lessons learned and also from reading articles, blogs, and forum post, I've decided to change some things especially when it comes to asset management. I also want my future code to be multi-platform, so I have to make sure Direct X specific stuff doesn't rear it's ugly head in my higher level things.
One other thing that has cause a little bit of a slow down is I don't just copy and paste code from the original engine. I examine it. Because of this, I've found some bugs. I had a bug in my old game whereby, objects would look dark if you looked at them from certain angles. It turns out that the code that sets some of the shader constants wasn't getting the correct camera position. It was always getting (0.0, 0.0, 0.0).
I'm a little behind schedule, so I've updated things a bit to show where I am.