Jump to content

  • Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account





Postmortem Week 1 (Ant Farm)

Posted by Elandar21, 17 November 2013 · 353 views

Game A Week Challenge
Hello,
For this week I decided to create a game where the user controlled ants in the process of making an Ant Farm. The game was to be built in
C++ using SDL. It was a 2D game where the user starts with a Queen ant. The goal of the game is to give instructions to the ants to create a sustained colony. I wanted to allow the ants to dig and the user be able to watch so I choose to do dynamic pixels. Something that I had little experience doing to this point, I am surprised I had not done it before. You would be able to give them instructions on where to dig the tunnels as well. It was a good learning experience as I went about my challenge. This week I unfortunately failed the challenge not completing the game in time.
Though the game was not finished I did learn from the challenge. Some of the things I learned are:
  • The scope of the game is to large for the time frame. With the ambition to create a neat game starting out I believe I got a little carried away with what all I would like in it. In other words I should have kept it simple.
  • When coding focus more on the gameplay and getting it working instead of struct with little time. I developed a scene manager and scenes and objects and had them all work well and even though it was really neat it took up time which should have been used for creating gameplay. It looked really pretty underneath, but the game was not finished.
  • Create place holder art for the game and then if there is time replace it. As I am not a great artist I take a while trying to make it look good consuming needed time.
  • I believe I could have designed a small game document to try and hash out what I thought of Monday. Not thinking that it would be a big deal since the game dev was just me and a week long. I found myself "reinventing the wheel" on various concepts in my head that I had thought of earlier.
  • I was able to learn how dynamic pixels and how to implement them.
It was a good learning experience for myself. I discovered some issues and I have plans to correct them. I learned to control the size of the game for the challenge. To prioritize and better manage my time to create a game that completes the challenge. Most of my mistakes are "rookie" mistakes, something I can work on and improve to become a better programmer/designer.

Follow the journal to catch up on all the different games and progress I make each week.




December 2014 »

S M T W T F S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21 22 2324252627
28293031   

Recent Comments

PARTNERS