Jump to content
So, the following will be a comprehensive guide to what went down this week, the good, the bad, the ugly!
Production times were fairly fast. Within a day we had a prototype in place and the level was detailed to its most basic form. We wanted a simple puzzle game where you used light to kill zombies who were attacking you. You could not kill the zombies directly, but rather you had to use the environment to make these things happen. I felt this was a solid concept and went running with it within the first day or so. Luckily I had this week off so I had plenty of time to just sit back and gamedev. However, I did have to remove two days of game dev time to assist with some social life stuff. So here is the list o things that went well:
In-game commentary on how the levels were designed:
Look at the two primary characters art assets/animations:
Link for the dl, and I am done.
KEY FEATURES TO NOTE:
So, with all the madness and my really locked down schedule I have not made a post everynight. However, this is going to be the ONE big post before the final post tomorrow. So lets go over what has changed:
So, no day 2 entry because I honestly went to bed at 5am after 15 hours of dev. However, today I come to you with a sweet and sexy video! The following are the changes we have made thus far:
This day has been fairly productive. The following is what we were able to complete:
So, after the theme drop I feel pretty good about our concept. We will be using UE4 and focusing on the core elements first. This might be the first year I actually stick 100% to the theme. My first task was to setup the repo (P4) and then establish our tasking on the task site we use (activeCollab). From there I went right to work with getting the concept art for the main character. This is what I came up with:
More art to come over the course of the night!
Been an interesting weekend. Spent three days making a game for another gameJam. It was rather challenging since I had to create models for stuff that I had yet attempted. Our entire mesh was disjointed and parted out. Each mesh with its own bone set and animations. This caused for some interesting gameplay, but allowed for us to have physics on every bodypart. This means flying swords, arms, legs, you name it!! We went ultra simple with the concept and I kept my art to simple shader stuff. I think it turned out okay for 3 days worth of work, and as usual we have something that could be shipped tomorrow. Check out the video and let me know what you think!
Download can be found on this site.
Been a few weeks since I have posted, mostly because work has been crazy. However, as with all my returns I come bringing gifts of visual joy!
These are dropPods that carry the robot to the ground. When you arrive at your facility you are launched from a launch station. This dropPod is how you and your friends (In MP mode) spawn into the world. We thought the process was so cool we created a button to spawn as many as we liked (without the need for a player spawn). The havoc from such things is what you see before you. However, we did find some bugs that might help us fix some stuff with the normal player spawn:
Such as, if you spawn 50 at once (have you really press hard on that spawn button to make that happen) they get stuck in the air somehow. I believe this is authentication to the server, but who knows right now! Either way, we had loads of fun and the game is really coming together now. I will probably provide a video of this entire thing in another blog later in the week.
After 3 days of putzing around with the grass I have finally created something I am happy with:
After playing with the grass I moved into making some fun stuff (this is not final but just a stress test)
So, all in all I am happy with this and can move on to the next stuff! Now for animations and shooting objects!