Daath Galaxy - Upcoming Open World RPG (Alpha)
rpg open word sandbox space action rpg role playing alpha
Explore the multiverse in this open ended fully voiced sci-fi epic role playing game. As a captain of a small crew, you explore the universe freely from outside and inside your ship, with in-depth starship vs starship combat mixed with fun melee combat when on away missions or when walking in ships or on planets. You are the genetically enhanced captain of humanity's last starship on an epic quest to save or destroy the entire multiverse. Use your tactical skills to disable enemy starships, send boarding parties, take over their ship and then use it to destroy their home world by igniting their star into a super nova as your ship jumps safely away.
All the artwork and music has been beautifully handcrafted in high definition with over 6 galaxies, 500+ solar systems (average 83 per galaxy), 4000+ planets & moons (average 8 per solar system), 40 original songs, 250+ quests, 12 main quest lines, 9 main quest endings (3 good, 3 neutral, and 3 evil) and much more. To keep each game play unique and interesting, there are also 250 quest recipes that create infinitely new and exciting voyages each time you captain your starship.
- GAME STATUS: Early Alpha
- START DATE: February 17, 2013
- CURRENT COMPLETION GOAL: Winter 2014
- GENRE: Action RPG (as character) Turned based RPG (In ship combat)
This devlog will be updated on a regular basis with all things related to the development and completion of the game. Polite feedback is certainly appreciated, but keep in mind everything posted so far is from Alpha builds of the game, and does not reflect the final quality nor the full feature set of the game.
- PROGRAMMING: 90% completed (only polishing, quest specific logic, & mini-games left)
- WRITING: 66% (back story & main questlines completed, side quests in progress)
- DIALOG: 1% (dialog still needs to be put into manuscript form & recorded, but waiting for writing to be at 100% before assembling the voice team)
- MUSIC: 75% (30 out of the 40 songs needed are finished)
- SOUND FX: 10% (a lot of basic sound effects are completed, but most battle & misc sound effects are lacking)
- ART ASSETS: 50% (space scenes are 100%, but NPCs, planet surfaces, cities, & inside of ships all need a lot work)
- LEVEL COMPLETION: 50% (The game world is fully defined, but not yet fully actualized.)
- MINI-GAMES: 33% (Most of the mini-games are fully fleshed out, but lack assets or programming)
Early alpha screenshot showing your character running around inside his or her ship
Early alpha screenshot of a player attempting to "land" on a gas giant planet
Early alpha screenshot of a solar system "world" map
Early alpha screenshot of space ship battling.
So here's a few details about how I've approached development.
First, I started with a notebook for concept art and inital planning.
Then, I moved onto writing actual specs for the game, which I wrote in the form of a Strategy Guide.
Since this is a full featured RPG, a strategy guide is a must. It's also a way for me to offer special bonus editions of the game that come with a box, soundtrack, and strategy guide. Since indie games are on a race to the bottom price-wise, I decided to go the opposite direction and put together value propositions that justify a real price. I refuse to do bundles or to price the game too low.
Big Yet Optional Mini-Games
- Deep computer systems with bootable BIOS, multiple operating systems, the ability to hack and overclock and even to play computer games on the in game computers!
- A card building game, with 4 different decks of increasingly higher power & value. Play against many NPC characters, collect or lose cards in every match. Can you collect a Master Deck, or all the Master Decks? Do you have what it takes to win the Intergalactic Tournement?
- Chemistry crafting system consisting of 118 elements & 236 chemicals to craft virtually any in game item, weapon, or armor
- A sneaking & stealing system along with side quests and mini-games.
- An in-game RPG game playable on in-game computers...
- Even more optional mini-games!
I'll be detailing lots more stuff as I have the time. Thanks for reading!