Weekend Reading: Tales from Journal Land
Anyhow, here are your Journal Land entries from the period of 4/16 - 4/22
Featured Journal Entry
Chronicles of the Hieroglyph - Jason Z starts taking us through the process of converting his Hieroglyph 3 engine for use with Metro apps. To do this he's had to change his environment over to Windows 8 Consumer Preview and Visual Studio 11 Beta. He details the various issues that arose during this first part of the transition as he comes up against changes to various aspects of the Windows, DirectX and Visual Studio platforms.
Welcome new Journal Land author anchor (who has a pretty rad-looking Kickstarter project in need of funding)
- Ya2's Journal - fla shares the first gameplay video for his team's project Plith, a puzzle game for Windows, OSX and Linux
- The Bag of Holding - ApochPiQ tells you all to hold on to your butts, the latest release of his programming language Epoch is near at hand
- Mobile RPG - smo97 has two new screens showing off skeleton enemies and game items
- kseh's blog - kseh has a new build up for his Egg Hunt game project as well as a report from having his 5 year old nephew play test the game
- omnomnom's RPG journal - omnomnom has a gameplay vidieo from the prototype for his project along with a list of features describing the game. In a later post he begins to flesh out the pre-generated maps that will make up the game world when the player first starts
- Life at Demergo Studios - toddbluhm and team give us a behind the scenes look at the creation of the launch trailer for their new game project function.repair, which they announced earlier in the week.
- OMG NUB! - Tape_Worm explains the changes that have been made to Gorgon's font rendering and also posts notice that you will now need VS2010 in order to compile the Gorgon source
- r1ckparker's Journal - r1ckparker also converted one of his project's gameplay videos over to 3D on YouTube
- Melting Cube - cgpIce has completed the company website and is looking for any feedback on the design/layout
Game Dev Stuffs
- SpeedRun's Journal - SpeedRun has another tutorial, this one covering DirectX initialization.
- The Bag of Holding - ApochPiQ thought that he could successfully extrapolate test results to a larger-scale and found that this was not the case. He explains why you should always test under actual conditions instead of, say, an average scenario.
- Shawn Hargreaves' Blog - Shawn Hargreaves has posted a link to his reusable, reflection based command-line parser along with a code example of how to use it
- Melting Cube - cgpIce is looking for information on starting up a company. Anyone with experience/knowledge drop him a comment!
Thanks for stopping by Black-Rook, Programmer16