Minor progress update
game development editor
On one hand, I've been saying to myself and to others, "The level editor is almost complete! Just a month or two longer!". Alas, but I've been saying that for over a year now. Maybe longer. However, I keep saying it because I really believe it - now more than ever! I keep on making progress and making progress, getting closer and getting closer - so I'm really truly close now. Just a month or two longer!
My sister, who's agreed to help with map editing, practically rolls her eyes whenever I tell her "the editor is almost done". It's kinda a running joke now.
By "done" I mean "75% usable, so we can start making maps". Not 'perfectly finished'. I'll have to continue to tweak and refine it as we use it, but also, some of the features I will eventually need I'm not planning to add until later.
Quick checklist of recent things added:
- Renaming floors and layers work
- Adding floors and layers work
- Deleting floors and layers work
- Moving/reordering floors and layers work
Here are some of the things I fixed again:
- Tile grid
- Cell borders
- Tile placement
Apart from area saving and loading, and a few other minor odds and ends, I'll be ready to start making some of the first few maps. (Though collision detection and all that jazz won't be working yet).
Here's something cool I added, in-between other stuff: Dragging and dropping of layers to re-order them.
Here's me just playing around. I increased the default map-editing size to 5x5 cells, instead of 3x3, and adding more levels of zoom.
Here I'm zoomed out so much you can't really see anything clearly because of the red gridlines. I'm adding an option to toggle the gridlines.
So I'm really excited. Soon, the editor will be ready. I hope.