Jump to content

  • Log In with Google      Sign In   
  • Create Account





I haven't posted in awhile, so here's some art I've been working on

Posted by Servant of the Lord, in AdventureFar, Pixel art 24 March 2013 · 927 views

pixel art tile rpg
I've set up mercurial and use that for Of Stranger Flames. I should've learned some kind of source versioning system years ago, but the list of things I 'should learn' is rather large. Posted Image

Mercurial was surprisingly easy to get up and running, so I'm glad. I've installed TortoiseHg but I end up doing everything by the command-line anyway, so next time I won't bother installing the GUI.

I've been making very slow progress, chipping away at things here and there. Yesterday, for a small programming break, I made some windows with curtains:

Posted Image
I tried to design the window so that it'd work with multiple different wall-types, though I'm not too pleased with the result. I don't particularly like the way the glass panes, the framework between the frames, or the window sill came out. Which is pretty much everything except the curtain rod. Posted Image

I like the curtains much better though! And since the curtains block most the window, and I don't outright hate the window, I'm not too concerned with getting it perfect. The main thing that irks me about 2D windows, is what do you show through it? Grass? Streets? My usual 'sky blue' panes don't make much sense, since the player is looking down at the window at an angle.

I guess I could make the panes semi-transparent and place ground tiles beneath it, depending on what the window actually looks out at. This is something I'll tweak once I get the much-talked-about-but-not-finished map editor working and am able to walk around in-game.

Here's the window covered with curtains:
Posted ImagePosted Image

Not to compliment my own work or anything (Posted Image), but I particularly like how the line shines through the curtain.

Posted Image
This first parted curtain is rather unnatural - the strait lines and how the curtain comes to a point (instead of a clump) at the bottom.
My later versions improved:
Posted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

The only thing really lacking in these curtains (aside from the gold tiebacks on the blue curtains that I accidentally miscolored) is that the curtain doesn't bunch together in folds of frabric, but I'm not particularly worried about that.

This was about two hours work.

I wish I had something more substantial to show, programming-wise, but on-average 90% of my programming work is non-visible. Lately (past four or five months), 110% of my programming work has non-visible and seemingly insignificant. Oh well, progress is being made, even if slowly!




Actual progress is inversely proportional to visible progress :) just kidding but it sometimes feel like that.

If that's true, I must be nearly finished!

Recent Entries

Recent Comments

Latest Visitors

PARTNERS