Back in May 2009 I realised that I miss programming my own project. Inspired by rouguelikes and figuring that it should be a simple matter to throw one together with the bits and pieces of code that I have laying around, I started having fun generating random mazes. When I was happy with what I had I started to put critters in the maze and had them move around randomly. That's about the point when I went off on a tangent probably never to return the project to becoming a completed roguelike. But I didn't care.
Critters needed some basic AI. I came up with a system of drives and actions. Critters needed to eat plant material sitting around from time to time and they did so when the hunger drive reached a certain level. I figured I was about ready to try to create some sort of hunting behavior. That was about 3 months after the project began. Over a year after that (December 2010), I was finally able to consider basic hunting behavior to be working. Though it could easily be argued that it isn't really hunting.
With the hunting behavior sufficiently working I was finally able to move on. And those next steps are what the recent journal entries cover. The more recent entries include thoughts about wrapping up this project and starting something new. Not abandoning all this work so much as beginning a new project that's more of a game than what I have at this point. I'm going back and forth on what it should be and look like and I haven't made a decision just yet other than that it's time to get a player character onto the screen that can walk around the world a bit.