GLX_ATI_render_texture

Started by
0 comments, last by JonnyQuest 20 years, 5 months ago
Hi, I'm working on a small engine which uses shadow maps/projective lightmaps for lighting, but I've hit a sliqht snag. As I'm doing this cross-platform (development is under Linux) I can't rely on the PBUFFER extension (it's a WGL extension), and in my case (ATI fglrx drivers), the equivalent appears to be GLX_ATI_render_texture. However, I can't find any documentation on it, or even get a declaration on it. I've downloaded ATI's OpenGL SDK, and while ATIextensions.h has the following #include

#ifdef WIN32
#include "wglATI.h"
#else //Linux
#include "glxATI.h"
#endif

glxATI.h doesn't exist (wglATI.h does, however!) I can't find this extension in the registry, and would really like to know how to use it. Anyone have any ideas or should I contact ATI? [edit] nVidia appears to use GLX_SGIX_pbuffer, which although experimental, appears to be quite old and unchanged, and is well documented. I'm not entirely sure why ATI opted not to use this extension as well. [/edit] - JQ [edited by - JonnyQuest on November 16, 2003 6:52:18 PM]
~phil
Advertisement
quote:Original post by JonnyQuest
nVidia appears to use GLX_SGIX_pbuffer, which although experimental, appears to be quite old and unchanged, and is well documented. I''m not entirely sure why ATI opted not to use this extension as well.

As you''re probably aware, pbuffers are used slightly differently from render-to-texture type extensions. But, GLX_SGIX_pbuffer is still the prefered method used for render-to-texture type operations in GLX environments for my engine.

There''s a WGL_ARB_render_texture extension, so I suppose it''d make sense for there to be a GLX counter-part (even if it''s just ATI) although I hadn''t heard of it before. I seem to remember the ARB discussing making a GL_ARB_render_texture type extension, I don''t remember what their conclusion on the matter was.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement