PLease help me with this

Started by
3 comments, last by imhandycapped18 20 years, 1 month ago
Ok I created a building with all the detail you can imagine. From the electric lines leading to the box on the side of the house to the door nob. I dont belive in picture textures I rather just make the model and use material textures. I found using different kinds of textures format or sizes determain the lag of the model while in game play. Now heres the part I need help on. I set up a street of buildings witch can all be broken into so that means theres no loading or quick unknown load that you dont see to load the objects. Now is this bad or good. I have a radeon 9700 with a 1 gig of ram and still when walking past this street I have created, I found lag. The game im working on needs to have all open buildings. I tried limiting the model polycount and using low rez. I do not want it to load the objects. This is gona be a online game so i cant have that loading crap. I need some sort of script or advice please help. My site is almost up i will post screen shots of the street and world. Also the town is pretty big actually I cover 7 or eight towns if you want to count the Dead Town. but the others do load but im not a loading fan. There prolly nothing i can do but if you know of something please let me know! Thanks! Ps. This game is Called second chance it lets the user brcome what he or she wants to become. You can level up in all different jobs and earn cash to buy the things you want. Dont give you hopes up on this game its very very very limitted at this time. I need programmers I think this game would do good. Sean if you a progammer or dp textures or looking to have fun witha group of people to make a game please let me know
Sean
Advertisement
Sounds interesting. I don''t have an answer for your initial question but I would suggest that using your Radeon 9700 and 1gig of ram probably isn''t the best way to test your game. You should decide what the lowest possible machine hardware you want to be able to play your game and build towards that. If you are getting lag with your setup a 32mg video card and a system memory of 256 mg are going to be worked to death. Good luck on the project.

"If you are not willing to try, you will never succeed!"

Grellin
"If you are not willing to try, you will never succeed!"GrellinC++ Game Programming
You are generally stuck with loading by and large, espically if you have a large game world.. There is simply too much data present for it all to be in memory at a time, thus we have to load it.. The trick is loading it behind the players back as it were, i.e. don''t stop the game to load. (Dungeon Siege is a nice example).

While I understand your dislike of textures I am doubtfull you will be able to get acceptable fps and detail via models alone.
Seeing as how you are using multiple materials for each and every object I'd assume you are doing multiple state changes to change the material before rendering the correspoing set of geometry that has that material. With a highly detailed model these multiple state changes can really slow down your rendering.

Textures can help you avoid mass multiple state changes and probably add quite a bit of detail to your scene. For example if you have a wall with bricks in it, instead of multiple triangles for the bricks and then the mortar inbetween the bricks you could have one large quad (2 tris) and then texture that with a repeating texture.

Now if this isn't an option, because all your geometry is split into material groups you can have simple bounding boxes for each of those groups and do some quick frusttrum culling and hidden object removal. The overhead for this wouldn't be too much if your objects are grouped as opposed to a check on every poly.

~Wave

[edited by - Wavewash on March 2, 2004 5:36:50 PM]
quote:Original post by Grellin GDU
Sounds interesting. I don''t have an answer for your initial question but I would suggest that using your Radeon 9700 and 1gig of ram probably isn''t the best way to test your game. You should decide what the lowest possible machine hardware you want to be able to play your game and build towards that.

Or, alternatively, you can release a self-runnking demo of your game as a system-benchmark, and when computers have advanced to a state usually powerful enought, realease your game.

Newbie programmers think programming is hard.Amature programmers think programming is easy.Professional programmers know programming is hard.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement