importance of excercises?

Started by
6 comments, last by wezman2k 19 years, 10 months ago
i was just wondering, in a book such as "teach yourself c++ in 21 days"...is it really THAT important to do every excercise faithfully? i''m on about day 12/13 right now and the excercises have been getting VERY tough...very complicated. it''s overwhelming. the answers, however, are in the back of the book. do you think that if i just look at the answers to the examples (making sure i understand them of course) i''ll still pretty much be getting use out of the book? i want to crawl all over her
i want to crawl all over her
Advertisement
having started my programming that way, and taking way too much time to become proficient, yes, do the exercises, I didn''t and it took longer to learn
Well it depends. If the exercises are like mini-projects, I wouldn''t worry about doing each one. Just do the ones for the concepts that maybe you don''t feel as steady on.
---------------------Ryan Bujnowicz[ vangelis ]
Knowing an answer and being able to work out an answer are two different things.

The answer to the next question is 419.

What is the 81st prime?

You need the age old exam question prompt - ''Show your working'' - it''s there for a reason.

That said I would say that you don''t need to do every question. It''s a good idea to attempt stuff though. It helps internalise it. Also it can take a time to absorb things (which is why the 21 days thing is non-sense really). I keep revisiting books for years.
Programming is like any other skill. Unless you are a programming genius, you will need to practice if you want to become a good programmer. Do the exercises, and make your own exercises too.
quote:Original post by Jingo
Programming is like any other skill. Unless you are a programming genius, you will need to practice if you want to become a good programmer. Do the exercises, and make your own exercises too.

I think even genii practice and work hard.

OP: delete your other thread by editing and checking the box to say you double posted
quote:I think even genii practice and work hard.

I think Einstein said 'Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration'. Basically to be good at something you've got work hard at it, practice makes perfect, you're never gonna be good if all you do is read about it.

wezman2k: If you can't do the excerises or are finding them extremely hard then you probably don't understand a concept in which case you shouldn't continue until you work out the source of your confusion. If you never look at what you're finding difficult and why you'll never get any good at programming.

[edit]Oh and the plural of genius is geniuses [/edit]

[edited by - Monder on June 8, 2004 7:32:04 AM]
yeah but some of these excecises are just plain ridiculous. they jump in difficulty from around day 8 to day 9.

i understand the concepts, it's just the way they want me to use them is difficult. if it was to be on a subject i was more interested in i could do it.

[edited by - wezman2k on June 8, 2004 2:17:27 PM]
i want to crawl all over her

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement