Atmospheric Glowing on Spheres - How to achieve?

Started by
3 comments, last by dhanji 19 years, 7 months ago
Hey all, I'm looking for a way to create a nice atmospheric glow around a planet (a simple sphere). I really liked the way they looked in Freelancer, and am looking for something similar. Here's one of the best shots I could find, that didn't distort the glow too much. It looks a lot better in-game. The only thing I could think of, would be to create a sphere that's semi-transparent and render that. I think the problem would be, that it wouldn't look very fog-like, just more of an outer layer. Any ideas?
Advertisement
Yep, looks to me like the atmosphere is another sphere. The clouds also seem to be textured on it. Maybe some alpha blending tricks would help produce that effect?
check the Graphics forum FAQ it has links to papers on what you want. Light scattering and atmospheric effects...
[size=2]aliak.net
Actually, it's not a sphere at all. I've developed one of these. It's actually a view oriented ring around the sphere, with a nice blended texture.

go to http://www.geofusion.com/downloads/index.html

and download their mars viewer. Press 'w' which goes to wireframe mode. You'll see how they did it. It's a great effect and looks really good.
Quote:Actually, it's not a sphere at all. I've developed one of these. It's actually a view oriented ring around the sphere, with a nice blended texture.

yea this is definitely how they're doing it, just a billboarded sprite with a premade glowy texture.

But this only works on static-view shapes like spheres, if you want a glow around a dynamic shape (like a person walking, turning etc), you will want to generate a blurred texture in realtime using shaders to sample the texels.

For symmetric objects again, u can write a shader that drops the pixel alpha as you go outward (drawing a slightly larger planet) and then draw the regular sized planet on a z-bias in front of it.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement