[web] [Wanted] Tutorial links for Flash Games

Started by
17 comments, last by GameDev.net 19 years, 5 months ago
I'm going to be doing some tinkering with the forum FAQ again - mainly just to assist browsing, such as having a TOC of questions with links to the answers. When we (LessBread and I) came to knocking it up the first time we realised that we don't have much flash experience between us and so the links there were pretty general to flash and don't focus much on the gaming side. I realise that some people out there have a lot of talent with flash, so I'd like to ask your help in providing some good links on the creation of flash games - this is a game development site afterall [wink]. So if you're creating games in flash and have some tutorials on your websites or in your bookmarks please post them here for sharing with the rest of the community. Thanks
Advertisement
Give me a few hours and I'll try to find my old Flash favourites. Used to spend all day making Flash files at work, so I just need to find the CD with my favourites on. [smile]

If I've not got back to you by tonight, send me a PM as a reminder.

-hellz
Okay, I found one CD and it's got some favourites on it, but not all (I don't think anyway). Here's what I found:

Flash Game Sites:

TonyPA - Tile-based Flash games. Has quite a lot of coverage.
FlashKit.com - Games Tutorials. Be sure to check out the rest of the site, as there are many, many Flash resources here; ActionScript tutorials, sound and music files (which doesn't just apply to making Flash games), 3D tutorials and a lot more!
Tutorialized.com - Several tutorials on Flash game development. Large site containing tutorials for many other things (3DS MAX, Linux, Maya, C/C++, web-related...).

I haven't used the other tutorials from this site, so I've got no idea how credible the C/C++ ones are, for example.

Macromedia.com - Specific Asteroids tutorial for FlashMX. However, can be converted to Flash 5 with a bit of thought.

I'll see if I can find that other CD.

-hellz
Just remembered another site I used to use. There's a wealth of ActionScript tutorials there, and whilst they're not written primarily for game development, they are certainly very useful.

ActionScripts.org

The tutorials in the Advanced section are the ones that will yield most value to game developers. However, if you're not comfortable with ActionScript, the other sections will certainly build your knowledge enough to use them.

-hellz
Good work hellz.... keep 'em coming :)
This one's not a tutorial, but is full .fla source for a car game.

Link to download

Quote:From the URL
SkidWRX is my first attempt at Flash Actionscript. It is a fully featured top down race against the clock car driving game. It features lap timers, collision detection, and some car physics (allowing for handbrake slides and for differing surfaces). It also features some nice touches like skidmarks. If you want a quick race against the clock game for your site... here tis!

A forum post with Flash gamedev resources - Some of these are already listed.

-hellz
Build a Shoot-em-up Game in Flash MX - Does exactly what it says on the tin. [grin]

-hellz
One of the links from that forum post, is OutsideOfSociety. Just wanted to put it here directly, because it seems like a good resource. I don't remember using this one, though.

I can't seem to find that second CD, so I'm actually googling for the sites I can remember now and that one has turned up several times. Had a quick look around and it looks like a valuable addition.

-hellz
Great Snake FlashMX tutorial here, including .fla source.

Also found the first part of a tutorial for making a Flash game engine (!) on that site. That hasn't been updated for a few months, but there's some information there that might still be handy.

-hellz
Flash Game Design: Trigonometry 101 - Covers the basics of Trigonometry in Flash and shows how to move a balloon in Flash using vectors.

-hellz

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement