Win32 dead? What is its successor?

Started by
12 comments, last by C-Junkie 19 years, 2 months ago
I have read several times that win32 is dead, and it seems that with VC 2005, it will be even more gone ... So what should I use instead to create games?
Advertisement
Win32 isn't dead, but the preferred way of doing things are through .NET.
Arguing on the internet is like running in the Special Olympics: Even if you win, you're still retarded.[How To Ask Questions|STL Programmer's Guide|Bjarne FAQ|C++ FAQ Lite|C++ Reference|MSDN]
Quote:Original post by DarkSlayer
I have read several times that win32 is dead, and it seems that with VC 2005, it will be even more gone ...

So what should I use instead to create games?

However games (DX,OpenGL) use only a small part of the Win32 API...

For sure there is a backward compatibility!

For games you can safely use Win32. It will still be there in Longhorn so don't worry.

If you wanna be "all cutting edge and all that shizznit", you can use Managed DirectX via C# or VB.NET.
"We confess our little faults to persuade people that we have no large ones." -Francois de La Rochefoucauld (1613 - 1680). | My blog
WinFX is what is going to replace Win32. However you're not going to be seeing this in use for a long time. Games don't use the Win32 API much anyway, things like OpenGL and DirectX are used for the fast hardware access they provide.

I'd say use whatever you're comfortable with. If you're just starting out you don't need to worry about compatability with systems a couple of years in the future.
What difference does it make if Win32 is dead? All you need for most games is a empty window. It doesnt matter if you use Win32,Glut, SDL, .NET, GLFW to make it. It is in the end, just a window.

Besides it will be backward compatible for sure.
I have very little knowledge of managed c# code and that kind of stuff.

- Is managed code fast enough for games?
- Is managed code dependant on a JIT compiler (like java)?
- While win32 is just an api in c++ in order to communicate with windows platforms, and you could go "multiplatform" by changing a few things (alot usually, but the possibility is there). Then managed code is bound to the MS platform, and is not portable, or demands more work to be portable?

Could someone elaborte a bit on this? Enlighten me please hehe.
Quote:Original post by dalleboy
Win32 isn't dead, but the preferred way of doing things are through .NET.

Preferred by who? Nobody I know.
Quote:Original post by DarkSlayer
I have very little knowledge of managed c# code and that kind of stuff.

- Is managed code fast enough for games?
- Is managed code dependant on a JIT compiler (like java)?
- While win32 is just an api in c++ in order to communicate with windows platforms, and you could go "multiplatform" by changing a few things (alot usually, but the possibility is there). Then managed code is bound to the MS platform, and is not portable, or demands more work to be portable?

Could someone elaborte a bit on this? Enlighten me please hehe.

1)Yes it is fast enough. Atleast i find it way more eligible than Java. Speed should not be a factor for dissing .NET.

2) Yes it is.

3) There are games/engines which are coded in C++ without using platform specific code and they compile with NO changes to the source code. As far as im concerned, C++ is still the choice if multiplatform is a concern. No Java, no .NET. Java isn't going to work on consoles. .NET is not going to be running on Macs or non MS-consoles.
Quote:
3) There are games/engines which are coded in C++ without using platform specific code and they compile with NO changes to the source code. As far as im concerned, C++ is still the choice if multiplatform is a concern. No Java, no .NET. Java isn't going to work on consoles. .NET is not going to be running on Macs or non MS-consoles.

Currently I'd agree that .NET is not the way to go for cross platform applications. However I don't think it's going to stay that way. One of the platforms you mention the Mac already has .Net support via Mono. As for consoles the upcomming generation may not support .Net but the generation after that could (or support whatever .Net has turned into by then).

Quote:- While win32 is just an api in c++ in order to communicate with windows platforms, and you could go "multiplatform" by changing a few things (alot usually, but the possibility is there). Then managed code is bound to the MS platform, and is not portable, or demands more work to be portable?

Managed code is not bound to Windows/X86, Mono and DotGNU are just two projects which are bringing .Net to Linux, Mac and other platforms. If you want to go multi-platform with C++ code you either need to use cross-platform libraries such as SDL and OpenGL or keep platform specific code seperate from everything else (there are multiple strategies to accomplish this)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement