[D3D10] A simple comparison of D3D9 and D3D10

Started by
30 comments, last by circlesoft 18 years, 4 months ago
As I mentioned in the main announcement thread, I had a couple of articles prepared for Direct3D 10. The first of these isn't exactly ground-breaking, but it might be of interest to some of you guys. Can't hurt to let you guys have a read [smile] It's essentially a tidied-up version of some notes I made whilst reading through numerous technical documents trying to make sense of the new API. In order to get a grasp of things that had changed I made some contrasts back to how they currently exist in D3D9... Vertex Buffers in Direct3D 10. By all means use this thread to discuss anything in the article and/or raise any questions and comments. As you'll see, it's a fairly basic article - so it doesn't cover *everything* from the new API [smile] Enjoy! Jack EDIT: Fixed broken link

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Advertisement
uhh, could you fix the link please? Im quite sure i dont have the Development fodler on my K drive...nor do I have a K drive [wink]
Your link is broken. I want to read it, please fix.
okay, the link should be sorted now. I'll go hang my head in shame at that piece of stupidity [headshake]

Jack

<hr align="left" width="25%" />
Jack Hoxley <small>[</small><small> Forum FAQ | Revised FAQ | MVP Profile | Developer Journal ]</small>

Fantastic article bud.
Well done.
Not to spam the thread but we're currently discussing D3D10 in the #graphicsdev IRC channel. Feel free to Join Us.
I have a question, when will DirectX 10 be available? Can't wait to give it a spin :)
Quote:Original post by blueshogun96
I have a question, when will DirectX 10 be available? Can't wait to give it a spin :)

Today :) Go get the latest DX9 December SDK, and it will include all the samples etc. There are no DX10 graphics cards out yet, of course, and you need the latest Windows Vista version to run it, but apart from that you're set to go :) The refrast is running like a beaut, I hear.

Allan
------------------------------ BOOMZAPTry our latest game, Jewels of Cleopatra
Quote:Original post by __ODIN__
Quote:Original post by blueshogun96

Today :) Go get the latest DX9 December SDK, and it will include all the samples etc. There are no DX10 graphics cards out yet, of course, and you need the latest Windows Vista version to run it, but apart from that you're set to go :) The refrast is running like a beaut, I hear.

Allan

Only windows vista? Whoa... :) Thanks though.

I also have another question, will I still be able to use C? I am a C programmer that prefers to use 100% pure C code for my games. I only use C++ when I feel it is absolutely necissary.
I still find it a tad bit dissapointing that they chose to only allow Vista to use DX10. I have nothing against Microsoft, but when they split the userbase like that, it's really hard to jump into new technologies and come out thinking you're going to hit a large audience.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement