Xenallure needs anime and architectural concept artists, others welcome

Started by
16 comments, last by sunandshadow 18 years, 2 months ago
Team name: The Xenallure Project (temp name) Project name: Xenallure: A Tapestry of Hearts Brief description: Xenallure is a romance RPsim. Think a cross between Final Fantasy and Harvest Moon. Xenallure's design has been in-progress on-and-off for about 2 years, and we have just entered the stage where we are starting to produce programming and 3D models rather than just concept writing and art. Please see our design doc for more info. (I apologize for the old document version, I am currently in the middle of a major reorganization for version 2.0, might be done in a week.) Target aim: Goal is a professional-quality commercially sold game, first of a series. Compensation: Volunteer, credit/use in your portfolio. Potential profitsharing by hours of labor donated, but nothing solid. Technology: Game is for the PC, hopefully also Mac. Considering the Ogre engine. Current 3D artist is working in Maya, 2D art is being done in Photoshop 7 and Gimp, Documentation in OpenOffice. Talent needed: 1) One professional-quality anime artist to design the appearances of our anime-style characters and draw blueprints of them for our 3D modeler. Clothing and hairstyles will be in two types, punk and medieval. You must be able to match/improve this style: Current Character Concepts 2) And one architectural artist to design rooms/backgrounds for the characters to wallk around in. The game has 3 distinct architectural styles - one is art nouveau with a cyberpunk twist, one is medieval with runes and other magical accents, and one is caves and biomorphic shapes grown out of opals and plants. I will provide lots of source images, but I ask that you at least be familiar with the work of Victor Horta, the primary architect of the art nouveau movement. 3) Anyone interested in writing romance or doing 3D art, programming, or music is welcome to post describing what skills you have and what you would like to contribute to our project. Brian is in charege of technical personnel, so programmers should direct questions to him. Team structure: Lead nontechnical designer/lead writer/art coordinator: Sunandshadow aka Mare Lead technical designer/programmer: Brian Beuken Other staff: a programmer/assistant gameplay designer, and a 3D artist. We had more but they keep wandering away once they realize game development is actually work. Website: Didn't see any point in creating one. We have a private forum here at gamedev, but only accepted teammembers can view it. Contacts: Post here or PM me Feedback: ENCOURAGING ONLY (constructive criticism welcome) [Edited by - sunandshadow on January 18, 2006 1:24:16 AM]

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Advertisement
Hmm, 70 views and no replies huh?

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

I can't help out since I lead a project of my own and have a real life "on the side" and everything (although it should probably be the other way around [lol]), but I do have a question.

How the heck do you pronounce Xenallure???

Hero of Allacrost - A free, open-source 2D RPG in development.
Latest release June, 2015 - GameDev annoucement

Quote:Original post by Roots
I can't help out since I lead a project of my own and have a real life "on the side" and everything (although it should probably be the other way around [lol]), but I do have a question.

How the heck do you pronounce Xenallure???

I like easy questions. [wink] The word Xenallure is made from the Greek prefix Xen, which means 'alien' and is pronounced Zen, and the English word Allure, which means 'attraction' and is pronounced Uh Lur. So altogether: Zen Uh Lur, emphasis on the first syllable.

I (unfortunately, doh!) have not enough free-time or 3D programming knowedge to offer at the moment, but the project itself does sound very interesting. Be sure to PM me at one point when the game gets on its feet and perhaps has a website going. You may find yourself another programmer at some point down the line. :)

Best of luck!
Well thank you for the good wishes, anyway.

Had a quick read, the concept seems pretty nice.
I might be interested in making music for this game.
Unfortunaly i don't have any recent work to show, i could make a demo according to your whishes though.
Quote:Original post by uselessmind
Had a quick read, the concept seems pretty nice.
I might be interested in making music for this game.
Unfortunaly i don't have any recent work to show, i could make a demo according to your whishes though.

Well, what kind of music do you make? Current procedure has been to split it up by race, since each race has a different genre of music, and only assign one race at a time to a composer. Magicals are standard fantasy music: ballad/march/orchestral. Spirituals are atmospheric music involving chimes, flutes, wind and water sound effects. Technos are adult alternative (rock/metal). I currently have an offer to compose for the magicals and a nice piece of concept music composed for the spirituals some months ago, I have to re-contact the composer of that and see if he's interested in doing more. We're looking for CD quality MP3s using several instruments, not midi music or single-instrument music.

Quote:Original post by sunandshadow
Well, what kind of music do you make?

Usually whatever is required.
Given the genres you have in mind i would prefer the magicals or spirituals though.
Quote:Original post by uselessmind
Quote:Original post by sunandshadow
Well, what kind of music do you make?

Usually whatever is required.
Given the genres you have in mind i would prefer the magicals or spirituals though.

Ok, I sent skitchstudio an email to see if he still wants 'dibs' on the spirituals. I also have to sift through my pms and email to find all the instructions I wrote about exactly what the reces' music should sound like and links to example music and collect those into some useful order. So, I'll get back to you with some sort of test assignment later tonight or tomorrow.

One thing I forgot to mention, the human refugees will also need a few songs - the problem is I don't know what their music should sound like yet, we haven't done enough concept work on the human settlement. o.O;

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement