student needs interview with programmer. please help

Started by
2 comments, last by Sneftel 17 years, 10 months ago
I am a Junior at Los Osos High School and am currently writing a research paper on "video game programmers". An important requirement I have to meet is interviewing someone who is already in the field. I'm hoping someone will help me out and answer a few questions for me. 1. How much do you enjoy working as a game programmer? 2. How difficult is it to find and hold a job in this field? 3. What type of hours are you required to work? 4. What specific items do you work on. 5. What advice would you give a young student who is interested in this field in the future. Thanks, Your help is greatly appreciated.
Advertisement
Please don't double post.

Other post here

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." --Benjamin Franklin

I'm double-posting my response!!

1. How much do you enjoy working as a game programmer?

Specifically, I work as a researcher who investigates new methods of simulating environments. It's amazing work, since it is completely forefront, and I am not limited in what I can look into since I am self-employed. It's awesome, I can't think of anything that can stimulate my mind more.

2. How difficult is it to find and hold a job in this field?

If you know enough, and inspired to work on things that no one else has worked on, you will create your own market for which the rest of the industry follows. It might not be big money, but it's only as hard for me as getting up, getting a coffee, and sitting down to work for the day. Of course, I am technically impoverished, but that's only in the monetary sense.

3. What type of hours are you required to work?

I work all hours of the day. It's not a job for me, it's a way of life. When the only person to compete with is yourself and a dozen dead mathematicians, you have no one to compare yourself to. Therefore, you have no reason to say "I'm working too hard."

4. What specific items do you work on.

Everything related to Physics. Mostly environmental simulation. I do love AI though.

5. What advice would you give a young student who is interested in this field in the future.

Take every single Physics, Calculus and Linear Algebra course you can. If anyone tells you that you are on the wrong path, laugh. Then read The Trial and Death of Socrates to find out why it's comical.
Please do not double post.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement