Permanently "Set Processor Affinity"

Started by
40 comments, last by Nypyren 17 years, 9 months ago
I recently built myself a new system with a dual core processor, only to find out that most of the programs I use apparently aren't multi-core friendly and won't function properly unless I set them to only run on a single processor. Thats nice, because it lets me use those programs, but it's annoying to have to set it each time I want to use the program. Are there any free programs that will apply such preferences permanently? Using google, I found some utilities, but they're all apparently only available in the expensive windows resource kits. Any help appreciated
"Walk not the trodden path, for it has borne it's burden." -John, Flying Monk
Advertisement
Athlon X2. I think that is the only cpu this happens on. I bought one too. Haha. Download the new drivers from their page, that will fix it.

Thats just what I hear.
-------Harmotion - Free 1v1 top-down shooter!Double Jump StudiosBlog
Quote:Original post by Extrarius
I recently built myself a new system with a dual core processor, only to find out that most of the programs I use apparently aren't multi-core friendly and won't function properly unless I set them to only run on a single processor.

are they just slow or are there other problems, shouldnt really affect it as at the application layer the only diffrence should be only being able to use 50% power (proabaly more as the os junk will get the other 50%)

EDIT: if the drives work then nevermind
Kaze: Since the majority of the programs are game or game-like, I'm fairly certain the problem is that they're using timers incorrectly (or the timers are broken - I shall d/l the drivers to see). One program constantly thinks it's net connection is timing out (when d/ling updates, and it downloads a list of files and their hashes at minimum on every run), another (RTS) will scroll across the entire map if your mouse touches the edge of the screen, and a third will eventually (under 30 minutes) completely freeze such that I must use the task manager to close it.
Quote:Original post by Kaze
I recently built myself a new system with a dual core processor, only to find out that most of the programs I use apparently aren't multi-core friendly and won't function properly unless I set them to only run on a single processor.

are they just slow or are there other problems, shouldnt really affect it as at the application layer the only diffrence should be only being able to use 50% power (proabaly more as the os junk will get the other 50%)

EDIT: if the drives work then nevermind

Some games like System Shock 2 have a massive headache with weird crash bugs on any SMP system.
Nope, the driver didn't fix anything (well, it didn't affect the one game that times out on its http download constantly, don't have time to test the others right now).

Surely there is a tool out there somewhere to fix such problems? Dual-Core machines have been out so long that it seems unlikely nobody has made something to fix the many broken programs out there.
perhaps its program specific, have you tried looking online for anyone else that has the same problme with the program on multicore machines?
my friend has a dual-core opteron and he hasn't ran into any problems yet with any of his programs.
-------------------------Only a fool claims himself an expert
Quote:Original post by Ravuya
Quote:Original post by Kaze

Some games like System Shock 2 have a massive headache with weird crash bugs on any SMP system.

intresting,
is it just bugs in the OS software/drivers or is there some logical reason why SMP makes a diffrence above the kernal layer?

Athlon X2s are known to have timer problems (in programming language, the use of QueryPerformanceCounter). When your thread jumps from a core to another, because each core is getting its own timer, the time functions return variable results. The typical problem is storing a current time, executing some code, then getting a new time and subtracting the values to get an "elapsed" value. It can randomly become negative on Athlon X2s. AFAIK it doesn't happen on Intel based systems.

Y.
I've heard there is a patch out for the QPT bug. I'm not too sure where to get it, and I don't have it myself, but there should be one :).
Sirob Yes.» - status: Work-O-Rama.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement