MP3 player programmed in C#?

Started by
5 comments, last by paulecoyote 17 years, 5 months ago
Does anybody know where I could find a tutorial on how to build a simple MP3 player program in C#? I don't really care how complex the tutorial is, I just need to find one on how to make a music player in C#.
Advertisement
The trick is going to be decoding the mp3. I believe you need to pay to license a library that can do it for you; or you have to pay if you release it or something. Most people use OggVorbis instead for this reason.

I doubt you'll find a tutorial either way for such a specific application. What you want to google for are things like: "mp3 library" "mp3 C++", etc. When you find an API that can decode mp3 files there should be nearby documentation about how to use that API.

Then you'll want to find tutorials on building C# GUI interfaces. Once you figure that out you'll be able to combine your knowledge of how to make a C# application and how to decode mp3 tracks to make your mp3 player.

good luck.

-me
I use Microsoft Visual Studio C# Express Edition 2005 (latest version) to develope my C# programs. Nobody knows of any tutorial that could help explain to me how to create a MP3 playing software or software that plays music files in any kind of format besides MP3? I don't care what format the songs have to be. I am trying to make a simple program which includes a library of songs that a user adds his songs to and plays from the list within the same program.
Why? I don't want to do your project for you.

I don't know of any tutorials, but I've done this in C#. The key as Paladine says is the API. Personally, I recommend FMOD. I can answer questions too if you're not doing it for a project.
Check out FMOD for loading and streaming sound files.

--www.physicaluncertainty.com
--linkedin
--irc.freenode.net#gdnet

What I think you want is something that does the following:

<Pseudocode>
Start Application
Check for user preferences
Check for last user playlist / files / directory
Create GUI
Main_Loop
Wait for button click
Handle Click
if (click = do something to file)
Start_Thread (do something to file)
end if
if (click = stop)
Pause playback in thread
end if
end loop
</Pseudocode>

Essentially its a very simple process, you have a bit of code which can handle the mp3/file playback (possibly a plugin so you can expand this?), your GUI code and the rest is basically loading / saving preferences and handling clicks.

For a GUI I would suggest something like wxWidgets or Fox toolkit (wxWidgets has a media player example iirc), FMOD for the sound files and some language to tie the two together.
[google]
http://www.codeproject.com/cs/media/directshowmediaplayer.asp

http://www.codeproject.com/cs/media/MP3Example.asp

You may want to look out for other more recent DirectX interfaces that can play mp3s, or embedding media player as a control, etc.
Anything posted is personal opinion which does not in anyway reflect or represent my employer. Any code and opinion is expressed “as is” and used at your own risk – it does not constitute a legal relationship of any kind.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement