C# - Rearrangable gui (like VS)?

Started by
2 comments, last by Mike.Popoloski 16 years, 8 months ago
This is probably a silly question, but does anyone know how to create a nice rearrangable gui in C# with forms? I'm after the same style as Visual Studio lets you drag the various sub-panels around and resize them within a single window. I've seen this running in a C# app before, so I'm assuming it's a standard component somewhere, but I've no idea what it could possibly be called so I'm comming up blank.
Advertisement
Maddeningly enough, the dockable panels used by VS are not standard Windows Forms components. Nor are they easily usable via referencing a VS DLL (that I know of -- if anybody can prove my wrong, I'd be quite happy).

You have to roll your own, or use a third party implementation (there are many excellent looking ones, but most of them are quite expensive). The best free implementation I've found, and the one I use for my projects, is DockPanel Suite. It's relatively easy to set up and use, decently documented, and for the most part runs well.
That really is maddening. One of the main reasons behind looking into C# for this is to get easier and better GUI support - and now I find that the feature I thought was standard isn't available. [flaming]

That DockPanel library does look good though, I'll have a look at it. Are there any particular quirks or shortcommings you've found?
I've looked into this quite a bit, and there are a few issues with it, but it is mostly visual things, and the source code is included so you can modify it to the updated Visual Studio 2005 style. Or, you could look into WPF, where making such a docking interface seems to be quite easy.
Mike Popoloski | Journal | SlimDX

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement