need some help

Started by
5 comments, last by gigaus0 16 years, 6 months ago
hi, ya I need some help as the titel says. ok here the situation: 1) I have three programming books(begining c++ game programming,game programming for teens, and an unreal desien book[currently at the bottom of a packing box]) that of which I have compleated only game programming for teens and got half way though the c++ one. 2) I am currently trying to make a remake of the pokemon red game for practice making tile-based RPGs. 3) other basic blitz programming, I have no game dev./programming exp. my questions are: 1) what programming lang. should I use in genrel 2) what lang. should I use for RPGs 3) where should I go for tutorials, in generl and spificly 4) what should I do!?! anyone? please!
Advertisement
(1) Python
(2) Python
(3) Python's website
(4) Learn Python's website
From what I have learnt, as a beginner in game programming myself, is that there is no simple answer to your questions. If I may, I'll paraphrase what I am often told - Every language has it's own advantages and disadvantages. So, why don't you look up some articles on the web that deal with the questions you have asked (if you haven't already).

I am not familiar with Python, so can't be of much help there. But whatever language you choose, best of luck!
Hello,

There are many languages you can choose from. I would actually advise you to maybe drop the C++ book for now. C++ is a monster language to learn. Trust me, that is from my personal experience and anyone else who learned it. There is many things that the programmer can mess up and the complier won't find out about. I know C# and Python is recommended for almost all beginners who post on this forum. I haven't learned Python, so I can't vouch for anything about it. I actually picked up C# about a week ago and it is pretty easy. It provides a lot more things than C++ do, which can help beginners to learn a language and the concept of programming instead of worrying about if something will go wrong. All I can say is learn to debug your program a lot. It will save you in the long run :)!

~Carl J. Loucius
Have you considered learning Flash and ActionScript? Flash would make your game easier to program, easier to deal with the graphics, easier to add sound, etc. Plus you could post it online. Plus ActionScript could be a good way to transition into more difficult programming languages. Graphics programming in a language like C++ is much more complicated. You may also want to consider Java.
ok thanks for input.

I'm taking a wab desien coures to learn flash, I don't (anything) about actionscript.

I heard that c++ was good of big programs, but I can aggre that it's complecated. I'll try c# and if that don't work then python. and I DO have a decent understanding of programming, sorta. I just need to learn the lang.s, not the concepts, though I could stand to learn a bit more.

thanks for the links.

now it's time for...SLEEEEEP!
ok new question. I looked around and I couldn't find a tutorial page. and yes I saw the c# work shop page but that started 4-5 mounths ago. if there is one that you think is good tell me or better post a link. also if you think of a good lang a beginer should learn then say so.

P.S.:I can't post during the day, only after 4:00 est(I think it's est) so don't espect me to replay right-a-way. sorry.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement