[web] C/C++ to ActionScript! No joke!

Started by
4 comments, last by Sneftel 16 years, 6 months ago
Hi guys! Maybe my first post should have been slightly more elaborate, but I HAVE to show you this...
" target="_blank">
It's recent footage from two days ago in the Adobe MAX conference. You simply copy/paste any C/C++ code and it automatically converts it into ActionScript. It even supports Python and PHP! If you are unfamiliar with Flash, you may not understand the importance of this. ActionScript has always been shunned by hardcore programmers due to a misunderstanding of its functionality. Flash is not just for fancy effects and animation, it is an extremely powerful development platform. This is a giant leap for not only Flash developers, but also C++ programmers. Daniel. [Edited by - DanielSefton on October 6, 2007 3:41:33 PM]
http://www.openracer.org/ - Open Source 3D Racing!
Advertisement
Nifty. Code translators are nothing new, of course; the original C++ compiler translated C++ into C code and passed it off to the C compiler. It's a cool trick, but I'm not sure how useful it is. The only two reasons I can think of for using C++ over a HLL are performance and interoperability, both of which would vanish with the translation. In my opinion, the reason ActionScript has been shunned by "hardcore programmers" (to the extent that it has been; I know lots of "hardcore" programmers who like ECMAScript and its many flavors) is that Macromedia always peddled Flash as an artsy multimedia platform rather than for RAD. Flex will do much more to change this than the code translator ever could.
Awesome! I wonder if OpenGL or DirectX code could be ported.
....[size="1"]Brent Gunning
the flash player has no 3d hardware acceleration support, and it looks like the next player will dont have it either.
whatever translator they'll make, we're stuck in the quake I days.
@Sneftel - I agree, but I think it is more than just a translator; this is a complete platform shift. In my opinion this could completely change the whole industry. If it's as simple as copy/pasting code, why not release a web version of your application/s? Imagine the possibilities...

Quote:Flex will do much more to change this than the code translator ever could.

The converter IS Flex - it uses MXML to compile the UI.

If they took advantage of hardware acceleration, online game development could reach a whole new level. Unfortunately this would probably kill shockwave in an instant, which is probably the reason why Adobe are holding off.
http://www.openracer.org/ - Open Source 3D Racing!
Quote:Original post by DanielSefton
@Sneftel - I agree, but I think it is more than just a translator; this is a complete platform shift. In my opinion this could completely change the whole industry. If it's as simple as copy/pasting code, why not release a web version of your application/s?

Because it's not as simple as copy/pasting code. Even if all nuances of C++ were supported (and trust me, they aren't) the underlying APIs aren't available, multithreading isn't handled the same way, byte order-sensitive apps won't adapt well... the list goes on and on. Don't underestimate the complexity of porting an application, translator or no. C++->Java and Java->C++ translators have been available for years, yet we still have large legacy codebases written in the wrong language.

Quote:
Quote:Flex will do much more to change this than the code translator ever could.

The converter IS Flex - it uses MXML to compile the UI.

I don't think you quite take my meaning. My point was that Flex represents a marketing shift as much as a technology shift.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement