Where to start with Visual Basic programming???

Started by
9 comments, last by Metorical 15 years, 11 months ago
Hello, I am new to GameDev and I am also new to Visual Basic Programming. I've done a little programming with QBasic at my Highschool, I was able to make a pretty decent pong game, but thats about it, but I am now looking to step it up to Visual Basic and eventually C++ and/or C#. So here is my problem, I am having a hard time finding any good websites or books on Visual Basic programming. Does anyone know of any good sites or books on beginning Visual Basic programming??? Any help or suggestions would be highly appreciated.
-----------------------------------------"With the mind, anything is possible"
Advertisement
In general VB isn't recommended to people serious about programming. It is quite powerful but not very popular, except in areas like writing quick utility applications. If you want to use a language with lots of relevant books and tutorials, VB isn't great (although I think MS provide sampes in multiple languages. It might be easier to just jump into C#.
say what?

2 jobs back everything there was done in VB.NET, and it was a serious company. Aside from unsafe code C# and VB.NET compile to exactly the same thing, it's just 2 different ways to write the same code.

As for a place to learn VB, have you tried coding4fun?
Quote:Original post by d000hg
In general VB isn't recommended to people serious about programming. It is quite powerful but not very popular, except in areas like writing quick utility applications. If you want to use a language with lots of relevant books and tutorials, VB isn't great (although I think MS provide sampes in multiple languages. It might be easier to just jump into C#.

I kinda agree. Let alone that if you learn VB, you're completely stuck to Windows (unless Mono has it?). However, to be fair, as a first language, it's probably not bad, as you can get things up and running quicker. Still, my gut tells me that if you want to learn a dynamic language, I'd suggest going for Python or Ruby.

If you want to program games, forget about VB. There's no reason delaying learning C++, but if you really want to, at least go with Java or C#, since they have a larger user base (Java does, at least,) they share more syntax and concepts with C++, and they're more 'enterprisey.'

Quote:Original post by Rydinare

I kinda agree. Let alone that if you learn VB, you're completely stuck to Windows (unless Mono has it?). However, to be fair, as a first language, it's probably not bad, as you can get things up and running quicker. Still, my gut tells me that if you want to learn a dynamic language, I'd suggest going for Python or Ruby.
Mono has a Visual Basic compiler, but I don't know how good it is. It's fairly new. It's able to compile itself though, so I guess it should be pretty good.
Quote:Original post by Valderman
If you want to program games, forget about VB. There's no reason delaying learning C++, but if you really want to, at least go with Java or C#, since they have a larger user base (Java does, at least,) they share more syntax and concepts with C++, and they're more 'enterprisey.'

Quote:Original post by Rydinare

Mono has a Visual Basic compiler, but I don't know how good it is. It's fairly new. It's able to compile itself though, so I guess it should be pretty good.

Hmm, interesting. Well, there you go. Even with that, I don't recommend VB.

I disagree with this 100%.

For games programming it's still a viable option even though there definitely is a stigma attached to using VB in this context (personally I think that stigma should just die with VB6). If the OP were to be actively looking for work in this field with only VB knowledge, then I agree for the most part: Game companies aren't really concerned about VB knowledge. But for a hobby, why not?

For the larger scope of 'programming', it's very common amongst 'serious' programmers. I can't count the number of VB-based (whether it be VB.NET, VB6, VBA, or ASP) projects I've seen. And these were more than mere utility applications, unless you consider an accounting package for a large oil company a small utility application [grin]. This kind of silly language elitism is where a lot flame wars and 'vs.' threads start - and for the record, no I'm not calling you an elitist directly [grin].

To the OP:
If you want to learn and use VB, by all means, do so and keep on using it until you feel ready to try something new. And if you want to stick with VB, then that should be fine too.
There is nothing inherently wrong with VB.NET, and there are some things it does better than C# (namely COM interop, and it also boasts finer control over exception handling).

My biggest problem with VB.NET is that it allows you to continue writing horrible VB6-style code and using its limited built-in functions rather than embracing the .NET framework class library equivalents. This is especially a problem for beginners. On the flip side, C# would force you into good programming practices from the outset.

To the OP: MSDN is an excellent resource for all things VB, from getting started guides and video tutorials for absolute beginners to the full language reference.

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

Nothing wrong with VB.NET. It's used often in corporate applications (at least in the corporate apps I've seen). It *does* feel like Microsoft is trying to phase it out in favor of C#, but it doesn't hurt to learn it. Learn both of the languages, and see which one you prefer.

With that said though, I generally dislike the overly verbose syntax of the BASIC languages. I'm usually much more productive with C#.
Quote:Original post by benryvesMy biggest problem with VB.NET is that it allows you to continue writing horrible VB6-style code and using its limited built-in functions rather than embracing the .NET framework class library equivalents. This is especially a problem for beginners. On the flip side, C# would force you into good programming practices from the outset.

I must respectfully disagree with this statement. Just because VB.NET CAN be written poorly, doesn't mean that it HAS to be. It's not holding a gun to your head. In my view, it is just as easy to write poor code in C#, or any other language, as it is in VB. The key is education.

To the OP: by all means start with VB.NET. Learn the programming concepts - not the language per se, but the ideas behind programming in an organized fashion - and if you get to the point where you want to take on another language, those concepts will carry over.

There is nothing wrong with learning VB. A good programmer should at least have some familiarity with some different languages, both for the variety and to appreciate the slightly different working methodologies and quirks that come with each.
Grant Palin

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement