Trying to create a website (first timer)

Started by
3 comments, last by Witchcraven 15 years, 5 months ago
Some friends and myself used to visit an old site called "Playsite.com" - which held classic games such as: Checkers, Gin, Chess, Battleship, Hex, Manacala, Tanglewords, Euchre, Hearts, Spades, Cribbage, ect... Basically they went under because Pogo has grown so big. We wanted to basically, re-create the old site (but different obviously) - but do not know how to go about doing this. We only want about 10 games total to start with, but we don't know where to find the software? My questions / help requested: What do I need, to have a website like Pogo.com? - It's not like pogo with all their extra games, this is simply for classic, multi player games. I know there's a lot of sites that have this, so mine probably won't be as big - but that's fine with me. Where do I go to find software for these games? How should I go about creating my website? Should I get a template, and work from there? Or how would you go about it? Do I need a dedicated server to host these games on my site? I'm expecting 1000 users total after the first year, so it's not gonna be massively advertised. Also, where can I go, to find someone who can create online games? For example, I would like a 'Dice' game created - basically '10,000' - but some new things, and what not. I have msn and would love to talk with anyone who's experienced in this. I'll be here to check on this as well. Thanks again, Sorry, I am very new to this so I apologize for literally, knowing nothing to do.
Advertisement
Moving this to the lounge as it is more about seeking advice than it is recruiting a crew. Also keep in mind this site is dedicated to game development, not website design. While your website deals with games in a certain capacity- we're more concerned with actual game development.

Thanks,

Nathan

Nathan Madsen
Nate (AT) MadsenStudios (DOT) Com
Composer-Sound Designer
Madsen Studios
Austin, TX

This is my first day here so I apologize.

I figured creating a website, revolved around the games that are being created.

How difficult is it to create a game? Or is there a place I can go to, go get games that are for online play, that I can put on a website?

Games I'm interested in I listed (for an idea of what im looking for)

If they can't be found, they'd have to be created..

Can anyone give a price amount, or how difficult: Dice( play with 6 dice, to 10,000) - as well as Checkers, Gin (Rummy), Battleship, to start with..
Quote:Original post by S o u r
Where do I go to find software for these games?

Usually, you'd write it yourself or pay someone to do it. If you actually do find some free software like this around the net you'd still have to integrate it which may be as hard as writing it yourself in the first place.

Quote:
How should I go about creating my website? Should I get a template, and work from there? Or how would you go about it?

A template is usually just the design of the site. You should get a template, but do it just to get a feeling about what you can expect from a template. Anything more you'd have to code yourself. You could try Dreamweaver but learning HTML is the best way to do it.

Quote:
Do I need a dedicated server to host these games on my site?

No, regular hosting should be fine.

Quote:
Also, where can I go, to find someone who can create online games? For example, I would like a 'Dice' game created - basically '10,000' - but some new things, and what not.

If you have money to spend, try RentACoder.com. You can get software done cheaply but don't expect much quality. It'd be best to get an experienced programmer to draw up the requirements of the software that you get done by outsourcing, as well as to check up on it.

I've done a prototype of a site like this for a college project with 4 more people who were quite inexperienced. So it's not too hard to do, so it shouldn't cost you much, but do have someone experienced to manage it.
I remember playsite. It was awesome. Best of luck to you.
--------------------------I present for tribute this haiku:Inane Ravings OfThe Haunting JubilationA Mad Engineer©Copyright 2005 ExtrariusAll Rights Reserved

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement