Help!

Started by
4 comments, last by MaulingMonkey 14 years, 10 months ago
Alright, well hey everyone. I am incredibly new to game design. I have not learned a bit of code or understand the concepts at all, but it is the career path I intend on embarking on. I am currently 16 years old, heading to college a couple years early this fall. I was hoping that some of you guys could tell me where to start, or at least point me in the right direction. All I know is that I plan on learning C++ first. Any help is appreciated, Thanks.
Advertisement
A lot of people will tell you something similar :

1) Learn to program before moving onto graphical libraries. That means
learn , c++,java,c#,python, and others. Note you do not need to learn
all of this language, although you should.

2) After having a good grasp on the concepts of programming, use online
tutorials to learn directX or opengl. DirectX is the same graphics library
that is used with Xbox games. Or buy a 3d games books, use google.

Also some people will tell that learning C++, as your first language might
not be the best idea. I am not saying it is or not. Just a heads up.
Our whole life is a opengl application.
Alright thank you very much. I plan on starting with the hardest first, and working my way backwards, so they will seem easier. Not sure if that will work, but it's worth a shot.

I appreciate the help.
If you take this course of action, I'd strongly advise against using C++ simply because there is a vast ocean of gotchas in C++ that many beginners (in programming) will waste frustrating amounts of time wrapping their head around. If you want to start head first into game programming, chose a simpler language to work with such as Python and Pygame, where you can learn to program while seeing immediate results. Or you could start simple C++ and work progressively closer toward your first 2D game. Once you become familiar with the aspects of programming you gain from the easier languages, C++ will make much more sense when you come back to it in the future.

However, the choice is ultimately up to you.
Good luck!
Thanks!
As an aside: You can get rid of the duplicate topic you accidentally made by clicking the edit button on the first post of that thread, checking [X] Delete? To delete this post, check this box. at the top, and hit the "make modifications" button at the bottom. If that was the only post in the thread, it will remove the thread entirely.

_fastcall said basically everything I'd have to say. The other being start small and work your way up: You'll learn a lot more about program design by finishing a lot of smaller projects than trying to do one big project up front. For games, this can mean starting with a simple text adventure, and things like "guess the number", then moving onto simple graphics with Pong, Tetris, Asteroids, etc, and then continuing to make more complex games.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement