XNA Game Studio 4.0 Announced

Started by
4 comments, last by remigius 14 years, 1 month ago
Kluch let's the cat out of the bag, finally! http://klucher.com/blog/achievement-unlocked-xna-game-studio-4-0-for-windows-phone/ Jump on board now while the train is still at the station! [grin]

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

Advertisement

Rampant speculation ensues!

Could you verify that 4.0 is in fact a WinMob7 release only and Xbox,PC and Zune stick to 3.1 for now?
Rim van Wersch [ MDXInfo ] [ XNAInfo ] [ YouTube ] - Do yourself a favor and bookmark this excellent free online D3D/shader book!
I can confirm that XNA GS 4.0 is not just for Phone7. You can check out the FAQ here

edit: fixed URL tag

[Edited by - Machaira on March 10, 2010 6:49:33 AM]

Former Microsoft XNA and Xbox MVP | Check out my blog for random ramblings on game development

Well yeah, the FAQ was what set off the speculation in the first place [smile]

Quote:
Q: How easy is it to port a game from Xbox 360, Windows or Zune to Windows Phone 7 Series?
A: XNA Game Studio 4.0 makes it possible for developers to adapt games built on previous versions of XNA Game Studio to work on Windows Phone 7 Series without re-coding the entire game. Also, once a developer has created a Windows Phone 7 Series game, they can use some of that code in XNA Game Studio 3.1 to adapt that game for Xbox 360, Windows or Zune.

SgtConker seems to agree though that 4.0 will also be for XBox & PC, but with few breaking changes if any.

Edit - and I see my fears have been realized. I was tinkering on a little animation toolset, but it seems 4.0 will be brandishing more features to that end as well (SkinnedEffect and Many graphics API improvements). I'd very much appreciate it if anyone manages to find out if these changes make any animation stuff I could come up with redundant.

Rim van Wersch [ MDXInfo ] [ XNAInfo ] [ YouTube ] - Do yourself a favor and bookmark this excellent free online D3D/shader book!
Yeah, that bullet item was badly worded. Anyone that's been around the XNA community for a while should have realized that PC and 360 wouldn't be left out of a major release. [grin]

On the other hand, anyone that's been around Microsoft for a while should realize their potential for interesting decision making [smile]

Anyways, Shawn somehow managed to find the time to answer my question on his blog:

Quote:
> I noticed there are some hints towards improved skinning support. Should I wait for 4.0 with investing time in an animation code base, or are the changes relatively minor?

The new SkinnedEffect just replaces the GPU side of skinned character rendering: you still need to write CPU code to play back animations and compute bone matrices the same way you do today.

So no, it wouldn't be wasted time if you start building an animation system now. For example, changing our Skinning Sample over to use SkinnedEffect took me ~5 minutes.

So we can all relax and stay busy on our animation systems [wink]

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement