I forgot my trigonometry

Started by
10 comments, last by Sander 13 years, 10 months ago
Boohoo me. It's been years since I've had to do any math. I have a little math problem to solve but I'm stumped. I forgot too much about trigonometry. I've drawn up a sketch in Inkscape that illustrates the problem. Can someone calculate the angle a and the radius r? And preferably explain how you calculated it. Maybe it will jog my memory :-)

Background: I'm going to need to draw and saw out the grey area out of wood. The radius is the length of the rope I need to tie to my pencil. They are going to be the ribs of a shield press (for making medieval wooden curved shields).

Thanks in advance!

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

Advertisement
Well, to get the radius, we can do (61/2)^2+(r-16.5)^2=r^2 (Pythagorean Theorem) which gives r = 36.4394. Now, if we visually rotate the circle to the right, we'll notice that sin(a) = (61/2)/r which gives us a = 56.83 degrees (we divide by the radius so that we're working with a unit circle, which is what sin uses)
Quote:Original post by nullsquared
Now if we visually rotate the circle to the right, we'll notice that sin(a) = (61/2)/r which gives us a = 56.83 degrees.

I might be wrong, but shouldn't that be sin(a) = (61/2)/(r-16.5) ?
Well, to get the radius, we can do (61/2)^2+(r-16.5)^2=r^2

Duh! Thanks! I've been thinking waaay to complicated, trying to figure out r from sine and cosine. Basically I ended up with a system with two unknowns (both a and r) that I couldn't solve.

<hr />
Sander Marechal<small>[Lone Wolves][Hearts for GNOME][E-mail][Forum FAQ]</small>

Quote:Original post by Wan
Now if we visually rotate the circle to the right, we'll notice that sin(a) = (61/2)/r which gives us a = 56.83 degrees.

I might be wrong, but shouldn't that be sin(a) = (61/2)/(r-16.5) ?

I don't believe so because we're working with the full circle (the line segment to the point (r cos(a), r sin(a)) extends r units). Maybe you're thinking of using cosine? In which case, we can say that cos(a) = (r-16.5)/r.

Firstly, computing the radius (r) would be your first point of call.

A simple application of Pythagoras' theory will suffice:

r^2 = (61/2)^2 + (r - 16.5)^2

This assumes of course that the internal triangle is right angled and that the chord is bisected into two equal parts by the vertically aligned radius.

Solving the theorem yields that the radius becomes:

r = 36.44

to 2 decimal places.

Computing the angle (a) now becomes trivial, since all sides of the internal right-angled triangle are known.

So using the tan (sin and cos could also be used!):

tan (a) = opposite / adjacent = (61 / 2) / (r - 16.5)

Yields that (a) becomes:

56.82 degrees (to 2 decimal places!).

If the area of the grey area is needed (the segment area), use this formula:

Segment Area = (1/2) * (r^2) * (a) - (1/2) * (r) * (r - 16.5) * sin (a)

Where angle (a) (by itself) must be measured in radians.

Hope this helps!
Maybe you're thinking of using cosine?

Yep, I seem to have mixed the two up. :)
Quote:Original post by Wan
Maybe you're thinking of using cosine?

Yep, I seem to have mixed the two up. :)

Actually, as CodeStorm has clarified, I believe you were thinking of tan [grin]
Quote:
Original post by CodeStorm
tan (a) = opposite / adjacent = (61 / 2) / (r - 16.5)
For making shield presses I've always found it worked better to just use a lightly rounded center bar, and then straps to pull it down. You are never going to get the finish shield to perfectly match your frame anyway, they always spring back a little. (Unless you're using fiberglass over a mold or something.)

You can refine your shape by using other blocks to either side of your center.
Old Username: Talroth
If your signature on a web forum takes up more space than your average post, then you are doing things wrong.
Quote:Original post by Talroth
For making shield presses I've always found it worked better to just use a lightly rounded center bar, and then straps to pull it down.

That works, but they end up somewhat V-shaped instead of evenly round. It doesn't matter if they spring back a little, but I want the shape to be evenly round.

My press design is based off this one.

<hr />

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement