[.net] .NET Forum FAQ

Started by
27 comments, last by a2ps 19 years, 1 month ago
Well, I've decided to start up a forum faq. So, here's your chance to contribute. Post questions and/or answers that would be appropriate for a FAQ. A few rules: 1) This is not a general Q&A thread. This is a thread for questions and answers that belong at the FAQ level. 2) No X VS Y crap, we all know Y is better.... 3) 42. [Edited by - Washu on March 30, 2005 2:18:55 PM]

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

Advertisement
Maybe...

• A direct download link to the Framework

• A list of Windows OSes that the .NET Framework can run on

• Info about developing for compact devices

• Links to info about Mono and dotGNU

It's all stuff that can be googled without too much trouble, but even so, it'd be handy.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
List of languages that are supported by .NET (C#, VB, J#, C++, Python, Ada, etc etc...)

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

I'm a mod in a German .NET board and I have made a FAQ as well. Here's a list of questions:

General
-------
What is .NET?
Is .NET bound to Microsoft?
What do I need to program for .NET?
What are pros and cons of .NET?
Is .NET slow?
Is .NET suitable for writing games?
There's an Int32, Double and Boolean in the System-namespace. Where's Float?
How do I convert a string to float/double/int?
What is garbage collection and how does it work in .NET?
I want to localize my app. How?
How do I integrate resources into my assembly and how do I use them?
How do I deploy the framework with my app?
Where do I find P/invoke signatures?

C#
--
What is C#?
C# vs. Java
Where do I find sources of information on C#?
How do I access data of another form?
Does C# support templates?
How do I document C# code?
How do I call native functions (e.g. Win32) from C# code?
Under VB.NET I call anObject.Item(5) = bla, why doesn't this work in C#?
How do I open an Excel sheet in C#?
Book suggestions

Managed C++
-----------
C++, VC++.NET, MC++, who's who?
How do I convert a .NET String to const char*, const wchar_t* or std::string?
How do I convert a char* to a .NET String?
I'm using windows.h in my MC++ project and keep getting errors like "MessageBoxA is not a member of System::Windows::Forms". What's going on here?

<< skipping ADO.NET/ASP.NET/WinForms >>

Managed DirectX und OpenGL
--------------------------
Where do I find tutorials on MDX?

What is OpenGL?
How do I acccess OpenGL from .NET?

Mono, dotGno, GTK#
------------------

What is mono?
How much of the MS FCL is implemented?
Which GUI toolkits does mono provide?
Is mono being accepted by Microsoft?
Can I use ASP.NET/WebServices under mono?
What about ADO.NET?
Additional links

The original size

If you are interested, I could translate/summarize the answers.

Regards
Andre
Andre Loker | Personal blog on .NET
Oh yes, please do...my german is rusty (haven't used it in years, and the last time I read german...well, let's just say that 13th century german is quite a bit different.)

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

OK, I'll send you a translation. I won't be able to do it this weekend (too busy) though.

BTW:
Quote:
2) No X VS Y crap, we all know Y is better....

Bullshit, everyone and their sister knows that X r0ckz! :D Just kidding...

Regards,
Andre
Andre Loker | Personal blog on .NET
"Where do I download an SDK for .NET?"

(links to dotgnu, mono, and microsoft's .net ;p)

"Where can I download a free IDE for .NET development?"

(Link to sharpdevelop ;0 and visual express).

"How do I keep my code crossplatform?"

(list of assemblies to not touch; system.windows.forms, anything in microsoft.* namespace, etc).
OK, here's a few things to help what's been posted already.

Microsoft .NET Framework Version 1.1 Redistributable Package
.NET Framework SDK Version 1.1

Here's a link to the .NET Framework 2.0 SDK Beta 1 x86, just for completeness.

To be honest, it's probably just worth putting the .NET Framework Download Center in the FAQ instead, telling people to get the latest stable release, and not a beta (for beginners sake at least).

Probably also worth putting these Microsoft QuickStart tutorials in there as well.

Other things to put in the FAQ:

Q: What Operating Systems are supported by the .NET Framework?

A: Supported Operating Systems: Windows 2000, Windows 98, Windows ME, Windows NT, Windows XP

Microsoft Windows NT 4.0 requires Service Pack 6a.

Obviously, if any other non-Microsoft operating systems are supported, add them there as well.

Q: What are delegates and events?

A: See this tutorial, for an answer to this question, covering the usage of both delegates and events.

I think it'd be worth adding this, as I can imagine the delegates/events questions to be the C# stumbling block equivalent to that of pointers in C/C++.

Other questions:

Q: What's the difference between the .NET types (System.Boolean, System.Double, etc.) and C# types such as bool, double, etc.?

Simple one, but probably would come up.

Bound to be lots more, but I've only just got back from being away for a bit, so I'm pretty tired. I'll post back if I think of anything else. [smile]

-hellz
A question I'd like to see answered (if possible):

How do I convert C++ to C#?
or even
How do I move from unmanaged C++ to managed C++?
Would links to other technical forums be good? I find www.experts-exchange.com often has a post where my exact question has already been asked and answered. Registration is free (you have to register to view the solutions). The only thing that sucks is that the place is literally chock full of posts and the built-in search function is fairly worthless. However, googling for answers with experts and exchange in the search string usually works well.
oh hai

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement