- Submitted: Jun 28 2014 03:40 PM
- Last Updated: Oct 20 2014 06:29 AM
- File Size: 1MB
- Views: 2761
- Downloads: 184
Download SGE Game Engine 0.13
Home page: http://stellarengine.nongnu.org
The SGE Game Engine (abbreviated "SGE", pronounced as "Sage") is a free 2-D game engine. Basically, the SGE takes care of several low-level details you would have to deal with yourself if you were using a normal graphical library: window scaling, collision detection, split-screen views, delta timing, and more. The purpose of the SGE is to make game development easier, which allows more rapid development by experienced game developers and also helps less experienced game developers learn how to develop games.
The SGE is written in and for Python. It is currently implemented with Pygame as the backend. Alternative implementations will be developed in the future, after the specification stabilizes, likely with PySDL2 and/or Pyglet.
The SGE is free/libre software (see the Free Software Definition for more information), and the documentation is also free/libre.
The SGE has many great features, including:
- Window size management: Just tell the SGE how you want the game to be scaled and it will handle the rest.
- Advanced collision detection: The SGE's powerful direction-based collision detection makes all kinds of physics much easier.
- Parallax scrolling: Simply tell the SGE what the background layers are and how fast they move, and you can achieve a magnificent 3-D illusion in seconds!
- Image transformation: Rotate, scale, and blend images as you please!
- Split-screen views: Easily make as many views as you want, in any configuration you like! Great for multiplayer games.
- Simple mouse interaction: The SGE treats the mouse as a game object, making all kinds of interactions with the mouse much simpler.
- Delta timing: Game running slow? With the SGE's built-in delta timing support, you can easily eliminate that feeling of sluggishness!
- Platform-independence: A program written for the SGE can run on just about any PC, including Windows, Mac OS X, and GNU/Linux systems.
- Free/libre software: No draconian EULA, no restrictions on its use, and no digital restriction mechanisms. With the SGE, you are in control!
Want to see some of the SGE's features in action? Watch these demos! None of them use any special tricks; these are all using only normal features of the SGE.
What's New in Version 0.13 (See full changelog)
- Several bugfixes
- Added an attribute to check if objects are alive
- Added a method to remove objects from rooms without destroying them
3 user(s) are online (in the past 60 minutes)
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users