Game Industry Job Advice

Banner advertising from just $5!

Posted by Michael Tanczos , 01 Nov 2014
  Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info

• You cannot start a new topic

Latest Updates
Developer Journal - 14 hours, 9 minutes ago
September Update - By slayemin
We've been making rapid progress on the virtual reality game. I have enough finances to last for about 3-4 more months, then I'm going to be in some real trouble. That puts a lot of pressure on me...
Developer Journal - 1 day, 5 hours ago
Ragdoll - It begins... (with two edits and new vids since posting) - By Aardvajk
Following my last, rather angry, post about trying to get the Bullet constraints to work, I took a step back and breathed deeply for a while, then figured out where I was going wrong.In short, you...
Developer Journal - 2 days, 18 hours ago
Snail Organs, Immune System, and Ageing - By Drakonka
Organs! Immune systems! Old age! Dying from old age!I’m super excited. I was thinking: “How do I implement old age and death, and health in general? Is health just energy? When the snail is out of...
Developer Journal - 4 days, 21 hours ago
Rewriting the AI Controller in C++ - By braindigitalis
Hi everyone!So it's been a while since i last posted a blog entry. It has been an extremely busy time for me, tweaking and improving the performance and design of my game. I have finally moved on f...
Developer Journal - 6 days, 12 hours ago
Trimming Eclipse's Fat - By TheChubu
Hi! In this entry I'll describe how I do my Eclipse installs, with only the stuff I need. Trimming Eclipse's Fat So the issue is the following: Eclipse is kinda fat. At least that's the general i...
Developer Journal - 1 week, 6 hours ago
September update: the new mining interface - By Ashaman73
Here is the September developer log. This time I'm showing off the development of the mining interface over several versions. Even if the current interface version seems to be a logical way to appr...
Developer Journal - 1 week, 15 hours ago
Pongout 0.83 WIP - By fastcall22
Well, it's about time I posted some progress pics of the game I've been working on the past month or so. http://public.gamedev5.net//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png Pongout is a crossover...
Developer Journal - 1 week, 2 days ago
Wild snails around the world - By Drakonka
Did you know that there is an entirely separate formula to calculate the distance between two points on the surface of a sphere? I mean…it kind of makes sense when you think about it. The shortest...
Working on the Quest Map - By JTippetts
Lately I've been working on the quest map. The quest map will be accessible from a special kind of workbench, the Map Table, that you can construct as part of your base. Using the Map Table will br...
Java - Getting The Path Of The Jar File - By Code Fox
Whenever you are working with files in Java, sometimes you need to get the full path to the directory the .jar file is located in. Most of the time you can just use.String path = "./File_Name.txt";...
Developer Journal - 1 week, 3 days ago
Rag Doll progress - By Aardvajk
http://youtu.be/ifBFUFTW8UMThis is without doubt the most fiddly bloody thing I've ever tried to do, but we are making some slow progress. Generating a rag doll from the mesh skeleton.I do not unde...
Developer Journal - 1 week, 6 days ago
Low hanging fruit - By ferrous
I updated the web player here , though Chrome I think disables plugins always now (works in IE, dunno about FireFox or Edge). But the last time I tried the webgl exporter, things were kind of funk...
Developer Journal - 2 weeks, 1 day ago
Bringing snail stables down to earth - By Drakonka
SnailLife snail stables have always lived in the ether - in some virtual universe with no physical location. Since I'm trying to make SnailLife based in reality, users' snail stables should also be...
Developer Journal - 2 weeks, 1 day ago
Facebook - By Arthur Souza
Hey guys,In my efforts to come back to posting I've started a facebook page!You can now hit me up at https://www.facebook.com/stuffgamestudio :DDDD
Developer Journal - 2 weeks, 2 days ago
Hinges - By Aardvajk
http://youtu.be/reiH3BaHcY4In my preparation for rag doll animation, something has been troubling me.What I will want to do is start the rag doll in whatever pose the character is from the animatio...
Developer Journal - 2 weeks, 6 days ago
Our next project: Yorg - By fla
Hello everybody!I'm coming back to you after a (long) while...As some of you may have seen, Plith is now a complete game and is giving me some satisfactions. I was so happy of this first experimen...
Developer Journal - 3 weeks, 4 hours ago
Constraints - By Aardvajk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJZzOyF3SqQ&feature=youtu.beI'm pushing forward with adding the constraints system to my "engine/game/whatever" now. Bullet provides a comprehensive range of cons...
Developer Journal - 3 weeks, 1 day ago
evo's Game Jam and thoughts on organization - By JTippetts
So, evolutional recently challenged himself with his own personal game jam . In the process he created a simple clone of an existing game, 2048. He used the opportunity to work the rust out of some...
Developer Journal - 3 weeks, 2 days ago
Post Mortem: Personal Labor Day "Game Jam" - Day 2 - By evolutional
Day 2 I started day 2 pleased with that I had a playable game at the end of the first day, but it wasn't finished yet. Cracking on, I set myself some goals for the day. The first three were contin...
Developer Journal - 3 weeks, 2 days ago
Post Mortem: Personal Labor Day "Game Jam" - Day 1 - By evolutional
Motivation It's been a long time since I've done anything directly game related in my spare time. I work 40+ hours a week on video games and by the time I get home, I often can't summon up the mot...
Developer Journal - 3 weeks, 6 days ago
Jumping Beans - By Aardvajk
Just a quick post to say I've added jumping states to the PC state machine now, finishing off the very basic movement system.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k4_HHbs-7zQIf the character is running w...
Developer Journal - 4 weeks, 6 hours ago
Open sourcing my projects and blogging again - By Arthur Souza
Hello guys!I'm slowly returning to writing small articles and doing small modifications to my projects, and as a first step I decided to start releasing stuff I create on github.So the first piece...
Developer Journal - 4 weeks, 22 hours ago
Doors - By JTippetts
In response to input by Servant of the Lord and Eck in my previous entry on bridges , I made a change to how the hexmap tracks object IDs. The result is a system that has not only allowed me to do...
Developer Journal - 1 month, 17 hours ago
Character Controller - shadows, animated meshes and state machines - By Aardvajk
I've integrated an animated model as the main character since last time, created a nice, tidy state machine to handle the character states and added back in shadow mapping. Obligatory video showi...
Developer Journal - 1 month, 1 day ago
Bridges - By JTippetts
Spent a couple minutes today implementing constructable bridges:http://i.imgur.com/h6wSgLM.png Unfortunately, due to the way I handle units occupying hexes, the bridges are permanent. Only one comb...