• Create Account

Writing Challenge

Single page

Single page

• You cannot start a new topic

See all related:

Latest Updates
Developer Journal - 1 week, 5 days ago
If an RPG falls in a forest, but the trees suck, does anyone care? - By Servant of the Lord
My game, Of Stranger Flames, takes place in a fictional French colony settled in a heavily-wooden bit of terrain.Forested areas appeal to me greatly, so it makes sense to set my game in a forest.Th...
Developer Journal - 1 month, 4 weeks ago
Trimming Eclipse's Fat - By TheChubu
Hi! In this entry I'll describe how I do my Eclipse installs, with only the stuff I need. Trimming Eclipse's Fat So the issue is the following: Eclipse is kinda fat. At least that's the general i...
Developer Journal - 1 month, 4 weeks ago
September update: the new mining interface - By Ashaman73
Here is the September developer log. This time I'm showing off the development of the mining interface over several versions. Even if the current interface version seems to be a logical way to appr...
Developer Journal - 2 months, 4 weeks ago
August Update (Version 0.2.40) - By Ashaman73
Here's the august update. This month I worked on improving the accessibility of the user interface. A lot of the more complex features have been moved on the main screen, especially the mining map...
Developer Journal - 2 months, 4 weeks ago
Week of Awesome III - Servant's reviews of all games - By Servant of the Lord
====================================================================================== Congratulations on reaching the end of the Week of Awesome! My feedback is in the form of critical reviews of...
Developer Journal - 3 months, 4 days ago
Extending Java classes from JavaScript - By TheChubu
Hi! So this entry will be dealing with the Nashorn JavaScript engine found in Java 8+, specifically, how to extend a Java class from JavaScript and use the resulting JavaScript object in the Java s...
Developer Journal - 4 months, 6 days ago
On Embedding General-Purpose Scripting Languages - By ApochPiQ
I spend a lot of time thinking about programming languages. Most often it's from the perspective of a consumer, i.e. a programmer using Language X. Sometimes it's from the viewpoint of someone who...
Developer Journal - 4 months, 1 week ago
From YAML to renderer in 50ms - By TheChubu
The idea of these couple entries will be to describe how I load my renderer's pipeline from a YAML file. In this particular entry I'll be describing the renderer architecture as it is right now. Fr...
Developer Journal - 5 months, 1 day ago
Gameplay update - By Ashaman73
So, the month is almost over and no update up-to-now. There’s not much to show off. For one I was on vacation, on the other hand I play tested a lot and refined/rebalanced the game play.The gamepla...
Developer Journal - 6 months, 4 days ago
Environment Simulation - By Ashaman73
It is time for an other developer log, this time in video form. In one of the previous videos I demonstrated the water simulation capabilities in Gnoblins and I have promised to talk about further...
Developer Journal - 6 months, 2 weeks ago
Materialsystem - By Ashaman73
Currently I'm playing around with the material system of Gnoblins. Many models in Gnoblins are recoloured dynamically to have the option to quickly add new colour variances. I wanted to add materia...
Developer Journal - 6 months, 4 weeks ago
Project 30: Model and texture stage done - By Ashaman73
Finally, we have modelled and textured 30 different creatures (previous goal was 20 models). We need to add the basic animation to them now, but first off here is something to show off.First off, t...
Developer Journal - 7 months, 3 days ago
HTTP for gamelogic... are you insane ? - By Ashaman73
Well, maybe a little bit. In my answer to this post over here , I mentioned, that I use HTTP as guideline to refer method/function calls in my game. I expected, that some developers will think that...
Developer Journal - 7 months, 2 weeks ago
Project 20 - By Ashaman73
We are still working on the art part. I've called the current goal Project 20, that is, integrate 20 different creature models into the game. In total we have currently 27 character models of diffe...
Developer Journal - 8 months, 19 hours ago
Megamorphic calls - By TheChubu
I'll be having this journal to post random stuff probably! So... Megamorphic calls JVM distinguish regular calls from megamorphic calls (actually it distinguishes bimorphic calls too but whatever...
Developer Journal - 8 months, 1 day ago
Art - Work in progress - By Ashaman73
It is art time again :-)I'm working on the creatures you can encounter in Gnoblins at the moment. Currently there are almost 20 different creatures in the pipeline, most are still in the modelling...
Developer Journal - 8 months, 1 week ago
Playing around with environment lighting mockups - By Servant of the Lord
I've been playing around in Paint Shop Pro to mockup different environment lightings. These are conceptual (they aren't in-game): http://puu.sh/gGSr4/c1948952f0.png This is stylistic practice for...
Developer Journal - 8 months, 2 weeks ago
Fluid simulation and swimming - By Ashaman73
Time to show something off http://public.gamedev5.net//public/style_emoticons/default/smile.png Recently I worked on the fluid simulation in Gnoblins. Until now fluids in Gnoblins were merely a vis...
Developer Journal - 8 months, 3 weeks ago
Environemnt agents come to the rescue - By Ashaman73
In the previous posting ServantOfLord mentioned, that water could be interact with objects like torches. From a technical perspective it comes down to checking masses of objects. In the past I alre...
Workin' on the editor - By Servant of the Lord
Progress is picking up again on my 2D RPG game. I never stopped working on the game's engine/editor, but progress was mostly non-visual and slow-moving progress. The engine uses 'layers' (and 'floo...
Musing about swimming... - By Ashaman73
In gnoblins I use a dynamic water system, that is, some areas are flooded, you can flood or drain them. The question is now, how do your minionsor other creatures react to water ? This is no trivia...
Developer Journal - 9 months, 11 hours ago
Gnoblins is on facebook now - By Ashaman73
...so check it out: http://www.facebook.com/Gnoblins
Developer Journal - 9 months, 5 days ago
Entities can be a plain integer too! - By TheChubu
In this update I'll talk about the latest features of dustArtemis, int based entities and component pooling. dustArtemis dustArtemis is a fork of Artemis Entity System , which is a BSD-licenc...
Developer Journal - 9 months, 1 week ago
They are still alive... - By Ashaman73
I mean the Gnoblins http://public.gamedev5.net//public/style_emoticons/default/wub.png After such a long time of silence I have some news and something new to watch.http://public.gamedev5.net//pub...
Developer Journal - 9 months, 3 weeks ago
MMOs! Y u no EZ? - By ApochPiQ
A common aspiration among nascent game developers is to make an MMO . It's actually a pretty common aspiration in many perfectly functional, well-established studios, as well; but at least on GDNet...