• Create Account

Game Design

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info

• You cannot start a new topic

Latest Updates
Developer Journal - 5 hours, 6 minutes ago
Age of Rogues WIP: Day 4 - By arka80
I could name this entry "Monsters & Items" and stop writing. But I will not. I like to explain. I found that keep these records is a really useful mental help, since it gives me close milestone...
Developer Journal - 17 hours, 17 minutes ago
Rewrite ALL the things! - By ApochPiQ
OK so I'm not really rewriting everything ... just... a lot of it.The current runtime infrastructure for Epoch is precarious at best, and desperately needs some improvements. There are a number of...
Developer Journal - 1 day, 3 hours ago
Over-architecting is a form of premature optimization. - By slayemin
Something I learned today: Over-architecting is a form of premature optimization."Uh, what exactly do you mean by that?"If you've got a fixed use case to build something, you don't need to make a g...
Developer Journal - 2 days, 11 hours ago
Age of Rogues WIP: Day 3 - By arka80
Focus of this session of work was to define the gameover condition and manage the death and reborn of the character. Mission accomplished, even if in a very rough state.There are two ways for die:...
Developer Journal - 4 days, 12 hours ago
Age of Rogues WIP: Day 2 - By arka80
At the end of 8 more hours of coding I've got the following:some refactorgui system startedtransition between world and area mapminimal area map generatormovement in the wilderness And a couple of...
Developer Journal - 4 days, 21 hours ago
Week 4 - By Misantes
Hey everyone,This week I didn't get a whole lot done. I agreed to work on a little side project with a friend, so spent much of the week learning javascript and the phaser engine syntax. However, I...
Developer Journal - 5 days, 17 hours ago
Entity pooling and EntityObservers - By TheChubu
In this update: Entity pooling and refactoring EntityObservers.dustArtemis dustArtemis is a fork of Artemis Entity System , which is a BSD-licenced small Java framework for setting up Entities...
Developer Journal - 5 days, 21 hours ago
Slimming down the Epoch runtime and improving program start times - By ApochPiQ
Right now a big limitation of the Epoch program execution model is the fact that .EXEs generated by the compiler are not in fact native binaries. They are compact bytecode wrapped in a thin shim th...
Developer Journal - 1 week, 5 seconds ago
What I am working on… - By jwezorek
I’m working on a puzzle game for iPads that takes the mechanics of a somewhat obscure game from the 1990s(*) and puts them on a double logarithmic spiral. The final app will be styled similar to...
Developer Journal - 1 week, 12 hours ago
Age of Rogues WIP: Day 1 - By arka80
So project has started http://public.gamedev5.net//public/style_emoticons/default/rolleyes.gif .First I setted a working environment, with all the linkage and the bitbucket repo working, and an emp...
Developer Journal - 1 week, 2 days ago
Age of Rogues WIP: Day 0 - By arka80
Yesterday I had a very nice (and productive) ideas exchange with some of you gdnetters, which can be seen here .It was about an idea for a pretty unusual roguelike. Don't want to rewrite all the br...
Developer Journal - 1 week, 3 days ago
Epoch Mailing List - By ApochPiQ
I've spun up a mailing list for the Epoch project, mostly because I'm tired of having conversations about it span half a dozen websites and PMs and blah blah.Here's the link: clicky . Or you can em...
Developer Journal - 1 week, 4 days ago
Three toads and the spit of a badger - By ApochPiQ
So Epoch has a couple of warts that I'm looking at smoothing out. One of them has to do with overloads that do type decomposition of algebraic sum types://// How things look today//type Optional...
Unity, here we come! - By Orymus3
Some of you may already be aware that I was part of the Week of Awesome II jam a few weeks back (and finished 4th! yay!).I've already explained my reasons to participate in this event, and one of t...
Week 3: - By Misantes
Hey all,I was still unpleasantly sick for most of the week (this is like the flu from hell). But, managed to still get quite a bit done, mostly in the bug-fixing-realm.I fixed many of the things th...
Developer Journal - 1 week, 5 days ago
The judge's post-mortem - By slicer4ever
So with the Week of Awesome II coming to a close, some folks have asked me to also write up a post mortem on the entire event. I'm not the best at writing up these sort of things, but i'll see what...
Developer Journal - 1 week, 5 days ago
Spaceships? - By Flicklizic
- Pathfind - Done!- Field of view - Done!- Outlines - Done!- Custom and nice art - This is gonna take a looong time...Changed the battleground to this:http://i58.tinypic.com/15qta9f.png Maybe use a...
Developer Journal - 1 week, 6 days ago
Darkholm: An Exhumation - By Thaumaturge
(Why an "exhumation"? Well, a post-mortem has already been done: this is me digging up the corpse to re-examine it in light of new evidence.)So, what went so wrong? Having read the reports given by...
V2.00! (Easy Mode) - By Orymus3
Just thought I'd give everybody a rest and fix the controls.You can now play the 'Easy ' mode!Notable changes:- Increased the mass of the car- Reduced angular drag of the car- Drastically increased...
Week Of Awesome II - My Scores - By slicer4ever
here you will find all my reviews/scores for the week of awesome II contestants: http://www.gamedev.net/topic/661418-the-week-of-awesome-ii-the-judge-thread/ ---Team: Orymus3:Game Link: http://orym...
Developer Journal - 2 weeks, 22 hours ago
I Am Dolphin - Kinect Prototype - By Promit
I'd hoped to write up a nice post for this, but unfortunately I haven't had much time lately. Releasing a game, it turns out, is not at all relaxing. Work doesn't end when you hit that submit butto...
Developer Journal - 2 weeks, 2 days ago
Watching syntax evolve - By ApochPiQ
I'm still thinking a lot about the question of task syntax in Epoch. The more I contemplate the matter, the less I like the idea of having tasks be overloaded as the "only" way to do namespacing. I...
Developer Journal - 2 weeks, 2 days ago
Our New Game: I Am Dolphin - By Promit
After an incredibly long time of quiet development, our new game, I Am Dolphin, will be available this Thursday, October 9th, on the Apple/iOS App Store. This post will be discussing the background...
Developer Journal - 2 weeks, 3 days ago
Epoch Release 15 is now available - By ApochPiQ
Release notes .I didn't get a ton of votes, but all the votes I got were for doing a release sooner rather than later. So here you go, with all the warts and incomplete stuff.This is mostly a miles...
Developer Journal - 2 weeks, 4 days ago
Battleships - By Flicklizic
I started a game project 1 month ago based on a mod of Warcraft 3 called Battleships... It's like a DotA but on the sea, there are some differences and I think that those diferences make this type...

PARTNERS