• Create Account

Banner advertising on our site currently available from just $5!

1. Learn about the promo. 2. Sign up for GDNet+. 3. Set up your advert!

Visual Arts

Banner advertising from just $5!

Posted by Michael Tanczos , 01 Nov 2014
  Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info

• You cannot start a new topic

Latest Updates
Developer Journal - 7 hours, 38 minutes ago
The Week of Awesome III: A Prenatal - By Thaumaturge
So, the competition draws nigh, less than two weeks hence! As suggested in the discussion thread, here are my thoughts, plans and feelings ahead of it...Preparations: Given that we're not to start...
Developer Journal - 10 hours, 1 minute ago
Extra Credits - an online weekly video series about game design - By Norman Barrows
Extra Credits - an online weekly video series about game designhttp://extra-credits.net/shows/extra-credits/
Developer Journal - 1 day, 11 hours ago
Winner winner, chicken dinner! - By braindigitalis
Hi everyone!As the next step in my game i have decided to anger various right-wing animal rights groups by testing out virtual weapons on virtual chickens. The next step in my game was obvious in t...
Developer Journal - 1 day, 12 hours ago
Wavefront OBJ imports - By Aardvajk
Just a quick post to say that, as I'm completely fed up with trying to make a model of a hand myself, I've finally gotten around to adding an OBJ importer to Charm so I can chop bits off a MakeHum...
Developer Journal - 5 days, 6 hours ago
Grapple Game - progress update - By Aardvajk
Making some progress on the grappling game, as this poor quality video hopefully shows. You can run around, jump and use the grapple to pull yourself to any point in the level.https://www.youtube....
Developer Journal - 6 days, 5 hours ago
Swordplay, castles and other RPG things - By braindigitalis
Hi everyone!As another week passes it's that time again to showcase what new features i've added to the game. This week i have concentrated on animations, and using the unreal engine per bone blen...
Developer Journal - 1 week, 1 day ago
6 Fascinating Facts About How Video Games are Good For You - By Norman Barrows
6 Fascinating Facts About How Video Games are Good For Youfrom the Intel website:https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/success-story-happy-jump?utm_source=outbrain&utm_medium=outbrain&u...
Developer Journal - 1 week, 5 days ago
From YAML to renderer in 50ms - By TheChubu
The idea of these couple entries will be to describe how I load my renderer's pipeline from a YAML file. In this particular entry I'll be describing the renderer architecture as it is right now. Fr...
Developer Journal - 1 week, 6 days ago
Work on skinned meshes continues - By Norman Barrows
Work on skinned meshes continuesI added the ability to draw weapon-in-hand to the skinned mesh test routine. It can toggle between weapon types, and uses the game's built-in matrix editor to positi...
Developer Journal - 1 week, 6 days ago
Give me my sword, so i might smite thee! - By braindigitalis
Hi everyone,The game is now advancing at quite some pace as i find all sorts of things here and there to add, all of which are requirements for gameplay. The main one of these this week has been we...
Developer Journal - 2 weeks, 6 days ago
Philosophy on finishing projects - By mousetail
Let me start with the boring stuff: I implemented a system where items show the "Fake name" until they are identified using a identifier or by being used. The new name is only used in the inventory...
Developer Journal - 3 weeks, 7 hours ago
Adding skinned meshes to Caveman - By Norman Barrows
Adding skinned meshes to CavemanA quick update since i haven't posted anything in a while.I'm busy adding skinned meshes to the game.When i started working on the game, i was not sure if i could dr...
Developer Journal - 3 weeks, 2 days ago
Seven Spells of... wha? What's all this rammel? - By braindigitalis
Hi everyone!This post earmarks the start of my new journal here on gamedev,net. I tend to start multiple projects at once, so that once i start feeling burnout bite on one, i can change to another...
Developer Journal - 3 weeks, 3 days ago
Cube Shadow Mapping - By Aardvajk
Managed to get cube shadow mapping working today. I'm not completely happy with the result but it was certainly easy enough to set up in the end, once I figured my way around the inevitable issues...
Developer Journal - 3 weeks, 5 days ago
New Project - By Aardvajk
Just a quick entry to say that the scripting engine is on hold while I start a new game project. Just been playing around getting normal mapping and specular lighting working with a single omnidir...
Developer Journal - 4 weeks, 1 day ago
Beautiful code part 3 - bottom up design - By Norman Barrows
Beautiful code part 3 - bottom up designan example of beautiful code using bottom up design.with this method, you start with the lowest level stuff, then add higher level layers until you have a su...
Beautiful code - part 2 - top down design - By Norman Barrows
Beautiful code - part 2 - top down designan example of beautiful code.this was a result of top down design. IE high level routines fist, lowest level routines last.first, the algo was written in co...
Skinned mesh code part 5 - implementation example 2 - By Norman Barrows
Skinned mesh code part 5 - implementation example 2another implementation example from caveman 3.0:this is the actual code that draws band members and NPCs in the game now. void draw_caveman2(int...
Skinned mesh code part 4 - implementation example - By Norman Barrows
Skinned mesh code part 4 - implementation exampleAn implementation example from Caveman 3.0: // called by draw_skinmesh_caveman // draws eyeballs attached to the headbone with an offset.// to d...
Skinned mesh code part 3 - mesh and controller memory pools - By Norman Barrows
Skinned mesh code part 3 - mesh and controller memory pools // ----------------------------------- skinned mesh pool API ------------------------------------------- struct skinned_mesh_master{LP...
Skinned mesh code part 2 - Rockland skinned mesh API - By Norman Barrows
Skinned mesh code part 2Rockland skinned mesh API // ------------------------ Rockland skinned mesh API -------------------------- // -------------------------------- load skinned mesh ---------...
Skinned mesh code part 1 - Low level Microsoft code - By Norman Barrows
skinned mesh code part 1low level Microsoft code from DXUT.h and tiny.cpp. June 2010 DX9.0c SDK. // -------------------------------------------------------------------------------// -------------...
L Spiro on scene managers vs state managers - By Norman Barrows
L Spiro on scene managers vs state managersan excellent description of scene and state managers by L Spiro from a recent thread:A scene manager manages a scene in your game. A scene is any spaci...
Servant of the Lord on inheritance vs composition - By Norman Barrows
Servant of The Lord on inheritance vs compositiona very lucid explanation of inheritance vs composition by Servant of the Lord, from a recent thread:Classes should favor composition over inher...
XML loading working - By mousetail
I hate these types of improvements since you can't even see them at the surface, in fact, the game has become worse since I haven't moved all the old monsters to the new system yet. I have basic fu...

PARTNERS