• Create Account

General Programming

Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info

• You cannot start a new topic

Latest Updates
Developer Journal - 23 hours, 30 minutes ago
Staying Grounded - By Aardvajk
We all know how important staying grounded is in life, and it is as important for a character controller, especially in an environment with sloping floors.The problem with constantly applying grav...
Developer Journal - 2 days, 10 hours ago
GJK musings - By Aardvajk
Thought I'd write a post about the GJK implementation that I'm using in my game to deal with collision detection between implict shapes today.Above is a screenshot from a 2D test bed I wrote when...
Developer Journal - 2 days, 18 hours ago
Nothing is a beginning - By Ubermeowmix
I find my self sat here after years of learning and months of struggling on and off to work towards a lifelong dream. I feel both mentally battered and somewhat awakened at the same time to a world...
Developer Journal - 2 days, 19 hours ago
Beautiful code - By Norman Barrows
Beautiful code[ i'm still working on this concept, so this is a very rough draft... ]writing beautiful code.sometimes you code, and it seems as straightforward as: "all nearby units - protect/serve...
Developer Journal - 2 days, 20 hours ago
Generic pattern maps - By Norman Barrows
generic pattern mapsoften times you need a pattern for something in a game.for example: what texture tile to use with a given ground quad.i used to create randomly generated pattern maps for differ...
A design for an indexed render queue - By Norman Barrows
A design for an indexed render queuedrawing information is stored in a drawinfo struct. it could also be hashed into an int, etc.the queue consists of an un-ordered list of drawinfo structs.the que...
SIMSpace 8.0 dev journal entry #1 - By Norman Barrows
SIMSpace 8.0 dev journal entry #1SIMSpace 8.0 dev journal entry #1figuring out the basics.this will be the 8th major version of the game that got me into game development. In the past the game was...
Developer Journal - 2 days, 21 hours ago
AI in Caveman - By Norman Barrows
Caveman ai:ai in caveman has been through three major versions.the first version was just quick and dirty code to get things going. likeall code of this type, it quickly grew and evolved into an ug...
An oo-ish version of my typical game architecture - By Norman Barrows
An oo-ish version of my typical game architectureall one code block, i was too lazy to split it up for posting ! <g>. non-oo: void main{init_prog run_proguninit_prog}globals: boolean: quit_...
Building a large procedurally generated world with no load screens: How caveman 3.0 works. - By Norman Barrows
Building a large procedurally genrated world with no load screens:How caveman 3.0 works.======================================================================GAME WORLD DATA STRUCTURES:============...
Background terrain chunk generation - By Norman Barrows
background terrain chunk generationthe foreground task (the game) generates terrain chunks on the fly asneeded from underlying world map data, and stores them in a cache foruse by the renderer. chu...
Simple sliding collisions - By Norman Barrows
Simple sliding collisionssimple sliding collisions:for AABBs:1. start by calculating how much to move the player as usual:dx = player.speed * sin(player.yr)dz = player.speed * cos(player.yr)2. appl...
Simple heuristic collision avoidance - By Norman Barrows
Simple heuristic collision avoidanceHeuristic collison avoidance:1. check for collision some distance in front of the player (say 15 feet).2. if collsiosn is indicated:2.a. check for collision ahea...
a working definition of good code - By Norman Barrows
a working definition of good codeA definition of "good" code (in no particular order):1. correct - the code should work correctly.2. brief - brevity is preferable. but not at the sake of readabilit...
Developer Journal - 3 days, 23 hours ago
Rover and menu - By alfith
Hi,The papercraft Moon rover is finished Concerning my game, I do not have a lot of things to show but I have a working menu A lot of things are done but they are behind the scene. It is not visib...
Developer Journal - 4 days, 15 hours ago
Adding a skybox, collision detection and software cursor - By braindigitalis
Hi everyone!I've found some time today to make further progress on Firework Factory, adding three things as mentioned in the title:Added AABB collision detection of boxes and particles, so that the...
Developer Journal - 4 days, 18 hours ago
WIP: Week 6 -- Node.js, Scripting, Networking - By studentTeacher
Hey all!As a continuation of my last post, I decided to move onto creating some debugging/feature tools, as well as implementing a scripting language. This was basically a successful 2-for-1 specia...
Developer Journal - 5 days, 8 hours ago
An update a day... - By Aardvajk
Might as well keep doing these little journal updates, keeps me off the streets.I've added in support for a Capsule shape to the physics system now and got the character controller just doing si...
Developer Journal - 5 days, 14 hours ago
Achilles + Screenshot Saturday 208 - By et1337
This past weekend I participated in the CivicHacks "Game Jam for Good". The goal was to raise awareness of the global water crisis and ultimately promote PackH2O , a Columbus-based startup that de...
Developer Journal - 6 days, 9 hours ago
Auto Save for Unity - By Lysergide
This article was originally posted on Random Bits . Check it out for more Unity related content.What can you do when a team member suffers a recurring Unity editor crash, losing all level design w...
Developer Journal - 6 days, 10 hours ago
Early days (again) - By Aardvajk
Back to basics again and have:modded the level editor to work with 3D levels againgot the editor exporting the physics shapes and a single mesh for the levelgot the game loading the physics shapes...
Developer Journal - 6 days, 19 hours ago
Demo - By invutil
I've uploaded a time-restricted demo of Economy Planner.<br /><br /><a href='https://www.dropbox.com/s/t66clq67y0mw747/EconPlDemo.zip?dl=0 ' rel='nofollow'>https://www.dropb...
Developer Journal - 1 week, 5 hours ago
Firework Factory - Junctions, Crates and Exits all playing nicely together - By braindigitalis
Hi everyone,Another day, another journal entry!Today I have integrated a bunch of disparate parts of the game together, and we are finally reaching the point where all the unconnected parts start t...
Developer Journal - 1 week, 12 hours ago
Demo - By invutil
I made a time-restricted demo of Economy Planner.<br /><br /><a href="https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/109630018/EconPlDemo.zip " rel="nofollow">https://dl.dropboxusercon...
Developer Journal - 1 week, 14 hours ago
What's been up #1 - By invutil
I've found my old hard drive from 2010 in storage. Valuable historical game dev files were found. Inspiration for the zombie shooter.<br /><br />I'm noticing more patterns. I keep t...

PARTNERS