For Beginners

Banner advertising from just $5!

Posted by Michael Tanczos , 01 Nov 2014
  Topic Started By Stats Last Post Info

• You cannot start a new topic

Latest Updates
Developer Journal - 3 hours, 35 minutes ago
Spawning, Item Drops, First Preview, Unexpected FPS Killer - By JEJoll
Spent quite a bit of time tonight. Cleaned up a few things and got my enemy spawners and item drops working as well as a 'coin magnet'. Also, See below for a nice long gif of some gameplay. Fo...
Developer Journal - 19 hours, 8 minutes ago
Textures and fighting with the editor - By Aardvajk
Fairly quick update today. I've added support for basic diffuse texturing to both the level editor and the game. The editor is very much bodged to support, but the game is handling it properly....
Developer Journal - 20 hours, 19 minutes ago
Code Refactor - Made a bad design choice? - By JEJoll
Last time I made an entry I said that my next task would be to have enemies drop items, and to create enemy spawners. When I opened my project, I started looking through my code and wound up refact...
Developer Journal - 1 day, 9 hours ago
Spellbound is up for voting on Steam Greenlight - By slayemin
Double post day!!! I rushed ahead of myself and just published Spellbound on steam greenlight . Yikes. I wanted to do a 2 minute game play trailer video, but I suddenly decided that the 8 minu...
Developer Journal - 1 day, 10 hours ago
What Is An Engine. - By Gregory Cheyney
Followup over comments found in http://www.gamedev.net/topic/675409-what-is-an-engine/ and defnitions of the engine. -- I used to think somewhat like Norman Barrows, "if it contains a main loop",...
Developer Journal - 1 day, 11 hours ago
Toy on a Mission UE4 Remix - Day 92 - By ryan20fun
Hello again. I haven't spent as much time as I would like on ToyMission.I have been working on the main menu since the last Journal entry. I spent a lot of time trying different ways of l...
Developer Journal - 1 day, 12 hours ago
Spellbound Reactions Video - By slayemin
We finished producing the video for our game and it's now online! We brought around eight people to our office to come play through our game and recorded their reactions to it. This video is a comp...
Developer Journal - 2 days, 15 hours ago
Facebook - By Arthur Souza
Hey guys,In my efforts to come back to posting I've started a facebook page!You can now hit me up at https://www.facebook.com/stuffgamestudio :DDDD
Developer Journal - 3 days, 14 hours ago
Seamless models - harder than it looks - By Aardvajk
Finally got finished on all of the pipeline work needed to start to use static meshes as part of the level design. Turns out it is far harder than it looks to make seamless models http://public.gam...
Developer Journal - 4 days, 9 hours ago
I LANDED MY DREAM JOB! - By Eck
Personal Update: Who has two thumbs and just accepted a gig at Harebrained Schemes working on the new BATTLETECH game?!?!?   This guy! I submitted my resume and portfolio hoping aga...
Developer Journal - 5 days, 5 hours ago
Been Sick - Win Condition - By JEJoll
**NOTE: This post was a little longer than I intended. If you don't want to read everything, there're some interesting things about enemy types and game titles near the end. Cheers! I've been...
Developer Journal - 5 days, 18 hours ago
My Game Jolt GDC Jam entry - By Arthur Souza
I was on gjgdcjam this weekend, didn't really invest too much time on the game, but got a playable result at least. Developed on XNA 4 using vs15, if you want to check it out the source code...
Developer Journal - 6 days, 2 hours ago
Snaily Updates: BrainHub + Runners, SnailLife Logo - By Drakonka
I finally have two BrainRunners working on a DigitalOcean droplet, and one BrainHub on another droplet queueing and assigning tasks to the runners. It's still rough, but let's start with the Brain...
Developer Journal - 1 week, 11 hours ago
The GameObject Pooler - By ferrous
So another fellow was doing a journal and was a little nervous about posting code for review. It got me thinking that I should post some code up as well. (I do have a game update that I could do...
Developer Journal - 1 week, 12 hours ago
Strip back the game - By Aardvajk
 I decided the other day to completely strip my game back to basics. Well, I actually started a new project and gradually moved the code I wanted over because I'm obsessive like that and want...
Developer Journal - 1 week, 15 hours ago
Microfacet Importance Sampling: For Dummies - By CulDeChu
Despite how important of a topic good importance sampling is in the area of global illumination, it's usually left out of all common-English conversations and tutorials about path tracing (with the...
Developer Journal - 1 week, 1 day ago
Closed test session, could need some helping hands ! - By Ashaman73
I want to start a new closed test only available to a small, dedicated group of testers. If someone has interest in helping me out, send me a PM and I will give you the download link http://public....
Developer Journal - 1 week, 1 day ago
Small Update - Health UI - By JEJoll
Just a small update today. Got in ~30 minutes last night. Health UI is working. Motorbike tonight. Also, I might regret this, but I was thinking about posting all of the code for this gam...
Developer Journal - 1 week, 2 days ago
Mobs, Health, Death - Better Late Than Never - By JEJoll
Some things came up preventing me from working on the project for a couple of days, but I was able to get my base AI, health and death working (mostly). I've noticed a few unwanted behaviours...
Developer Journal - 1 week, 3 days ago
Collisions and weapons - By alfith
Hi,After quite some time, here comes a new video showing a very early sample of collisions and weapons. What you can see in the video is the player shooting missiles bursts. An enemy spaceship is d...
Developer Journal - 1 week, 4 days ago
Rendering Tree Sprites - By JTippetts
It's been awhile since I did anything 2D-related, and I'm a little bit worried that some of those particular hard-earned skills are starting to fade from my weak brain. Last night, I was talking wi...
Developer Journal - 1 week, 4 days ago
First Entry - About Half Way Done - By JEJoll
So, here's my first entry on any dev blog ever. I find it hard to stay motivated in making my games, and to find the time, so I figure a regular journal will help quell that problem. Might as well...
Developer Journal - 2 weeks, 2 days ago
Even more changes to first 6 levels. - By desdemian
I made several small changes to all levels, trying to smooth any rough edges the testers find. One problem with this approach: The games are going to be painted (as in, no tiles or reusable p...
Developer Journal - 2 weeks, 4 days ago
Preparing my engine for Vulkan API - By Ashaman73
Looking at the vulkan api so far, it could solve many of my rendering performance issues in my engine. My engine was based on OpenGL 1.2, followed by a transition to OGL 2.0 and lot of extension la...
Developer Journal - 2 weeks, 4 days ago
BrainHub and BrainRunner - Finally Over the Hump - By Drakonka
Note: This post may make more sense if you also check out the one I posted before Christmas on my blog (which I unfortunately forgot to also post here at the time: http://liza.io/the-brain-scope-i...

PARTNERS