Help Topic: Finding your community
Let’s get started - How would you characterize yourself?
I’m a beginner
I’m the technical type - I like the programming and engineering aspects of game development
I’m the creative type - I am interested in the creative elements of games such as music and art
I’m the business type - I want to know and discuss more of the business production, sales, and legal aspects of game development
I want to socialize, announce projects, or recruit people for my own project
Are you a beginner?
- For Beginners - Plan on spending some time here before visiting the other forums if you are new to game development.
Are you the technical type?
- Artiificial Intelligence - All aspects of AI programming and theory
- DirectX and XNA - Questions and discussion regarding all official technologies under Microsoft's XNA branding (e.g. Direct3D and XNA Game Studio Express) as well as any unofficial and 3rd-party libraries supporting DirectX or XNA (e.g. SlimDX, tools and plugins)
- Game Programming
- Graphics Programming and Theory - All aspects of non-API specific 2D and 3D graphics programming and theory.
- General Programming - The place for discussing programming issues not related to games.
- OpenGL - Questions specific to the OpenGL API belong here.
- Multiplayer and Network Programming - Multiplayer programming and networking in games.
- Math and Physics - Discussion of math and physics, primarily as they apply to games.
- Mobile and Console Development - For discussion of game development related to iOS, Android, and other mobile platforms as well as questions specific to the Wii, XBox 360, PS3 or other consoles.
- API and Tools - For the discussion of APIs such as Unity, CryEngine, SDL, Allegro, FMod, OpenAL, ODE, Ogre, CrystalSpace. Also covered are scripting languages such as Lua, Python, etc., as well as game-specific scripting languages like UnrealScript.
Are you the creative type?
- Game Design - Game design discussion
- Visual Arts - From 2D to 3D, all about creating art for games
- Music and Sound - The artistic side of creating game music and sound effects.
- Writing for Games - Forum for creative criticism, idea exchange, and instruction in the art of writing for games
Are you the business type?
- Breaking into the Games Industry - Talk about breaking into the industry, how and where to find jobs, getting an education in games, and other career-related questions and topics.
- Business and Law of Game Development - Discuss business and legal issues related to game development.
Do you want to socialize, announce projects, or recruit people for your own projects?
- GDNet Lounge - Chat about anything you feel like, but keep it mature and civil. It does not have to be about game development, but it should be about something; i.e. don't post JUST to post.
- Your Announcements - Make your web site or game project known to everyone. If you're going to spam our board, this is the place to do it!
- Help Wanted - Are you looking for a team to join or for someone to join your team? Post about it here. Note: This forum is to help hobbyists and independent game developers connect. Commercial game jobs should be listed here.