I know this doesn't strictly belong here, but these are the mechanics for me broke the game:
- rare mobs are harder than bosses. In D2, mobcombinations killed you. Here you just fight for 20 minutes to kill one rare mob.
- automated attributes, I have nothing to do when leveling up.
- Skills are unlocked, you have nothing to do when leveling up, and it doesn't matter what you choose anyways, you can always change it.
- only 6 skills. Seriously, do they think I can hardly keep myself from drooling over the keyboard? Or can the character not keep more than 6 moves in his head?
- progression: Exploding palm still feels and looks as strong at lvl 60 than it did at level 16. Remember the good old javazone?
And Storywise i have to agree d2 wasn't the greatest story ever, but it was fine, and you didn't have plot holes the size of continents.
For starters, remember the ending of diablo 2, the world stone was destroyed, nobody knew the consequences, but they might be dear. I can only imagine tyrael standing there, shrugging his shoulders: "Well lucky me, nothing happened... HEY GUYS! NOTHING HAPPENED! You can all go home now and do nothing for 20 years until I fall from the skies!"
In D2 you followed the Wanderer (of course it was diablo, but no character acted surprised when it was revealed). Everywhere he went, evil followed, because diablo was so bad. Alright, nice.
In diablo 3? Tyrael falls down, alright. But new Tristram has gone to shit for no reason, Belial decided to take Luth golein... I mean... that other town that totally isn't luth golein, for no reason. Adria suddenly appears for no reason, you had to get the black soulstone for... why again? I could go on for days.
The only new part that diablo3 introduced was Maghda and the Coven. Both are so bad and generic that i don't even CARE about their story. Anyways, leader of the coven. WHO ARE the coven? Generic demons?!
Investing millions of dollars, having a d2 fan as project leader, having 100 of people test the game early on and nobody noticed how BAD the ingame cutscenes and dialoges are? Did anyone listen to the first act Alaric NPC and think: "Yes, that's the best we can do."?