1. Really the only thing I feel that I have going for me is my experience as a really good gamer and my experience testing games (lots of beta testing experience and I alpha tested a recent AAA mmo and gave a lot of feedback on balancing directly to devs)
2. I might be able to use a few low level connections at a couple of companies so that seems like my only real shot at this point...
3. Kinda feeling down about the whole situation.
1. That's not "experience." Employers have a particular definition for the word "experience." http://www.igda.org/games-game-october-2006
2. That'll work better if you're local when you try that.
3. This too shall pass. You'll feel better soon.