I skimmed through your list, which has quite a lot, and I think it might be better to think of what is the minimum needed to be playable. Not a complete game, but to start showing something at all. I.e. 2 races, 1 unit for each race, 1 race controlled by AI, one race controlled by player, can fly around in an area, and try to take out the opponent. Then add another unit.
Thanks! Yeah, I am realizing even my initial target plan was a little daunting. I've broken it down into a much-reduced initial version with just 2 starship types (1 for each of the 2 initial races) with a single ability (besides the built-in lasers and torps that all ships get). The goal for this release is an internal early Alpha version; a fully playable game suitable for a small group of alpha testers to play.
One piece of advice I would give is re-edit your list so that you separate them into subgroups and features associated eg:
Unit (ship) etc.
At the moment reading through the list it skips back and forth in the types of features and what they would be associated with. Furthermore as you divide them up it is more likely that a feature that isn't there but should be can be identified.
Good points, I've organized it a little better and you are right, that made it more obvious I had missed several necessary features.
I would also get a UserVoice account, which is a free system that lets players suggest ideas and vote on them, which will tell you in larger scale what is important to the players, and how they view the game over all and its direction. (Each player gets 10 points, and can add 1, 2 or 3 points to any idea, including ones they propose. You could throw your own ideas out there as well, and see how they fair.
I checked it out and it looks like a great way to provide a feedback mechanism. Thanks!
Alpha I Version
- Torpedoes: collision detection / damage
- Ability: Shield Flare
- Ability: Repeat Laser Blast
Bases: Art + AI for each of the following
- Human Starbase
- Regelos Starbase
- Human Citadel
- Regelos Citadel
- Add energy indicator to main screen
- Subtract more energy for faster movement as well as laser use
- Disallow lasers or fast movement when out of energy, shields max at half
- Friendly versus Enemy (no friendly fire), display team color
- Stats: Display these small icons around each ship on tactical map: Hull, Shield, Energy
- Display remaining game objects on strategic window
- Add borders to game world / fix size
- capturing enemy planets mechanism
- seeding planets: assign ownership of planets at game start
- display team ownership of each planet on tactical and strategy map
- defense grid
- repair/fuel stations
Player Slot Management
- 20 players per team
- victory conditions (server reset)
- players entering / leaving game conversions with AI
- quit button