What I should have remembered is that my framework has a companion app to help test its functions. And it was the application failing to build when my framework was having no problems. Apparently I needed to:
1: Add the static library to my framework.
2: Add "usr/local/include" and "usr/local/include/freetype2" as the framework's header search paths.
3: Then add "usr/local/include" and "usr/local/include/freetype2" as the companion application's header search paths.
EDIT: NOW FIXED
I spoke too soon. Once I started using the library, I got errors saying: "_BZ2_bzdecompress" not found, "_BZ2_bzdecompressEnd" not found, and "_inflate" not found. This was fixed by downloading the "bzip" and "zlib" libraries and including them in my project.