A 2D puzzle-platformer, somewhat similar to NightSky, except more action-packed, will likely be shorter as well in terms of hours of play.
Might be presented as 3D like Nyxquest or eventually full Mario64 style (no, see note).
Tumbleweeds observed humans for eons. They have discovered satan's evil plan to invade earth. All the tumbleweeds must therefore attack satan's house on earth!
Main character is The Great Tumbleweed. Each level is centered towards getting normal tumbleweeds to the exit point, so they can pile up in next level. Normal tumbleweeds can not move by themselves and are completely subject to external forces. The Great Tumbleweed is infused with superpowers, such as the ability to move by itself.
Main gameplay mechanisms
- Rolling around as main way of gaining momentum
- Hitting objects to enable/disable special environment behavior
- Use saved tumbleweeds to bridge gaps
Additionally, in every world The Great Tumbleweed gains special abilities such as
- Small jump
- Ability to make other tumbleweeds roll: jump on them and roll.
- Upgrade: ability to incorporate other tumbleweeds for easier transportation to exit (will cause change in physics model)
- Unroll into a thread to go through tight holes (includes some kind of maze mini-game, limited by thread flexibility).
- Upgrade: unroll into a grappling thread to jump across large gaps!
- Go stealth mode! Just act as a regular tumbleweed so no one will notice (humans only).
- Unroll other tumbleweeds to build simple objects such as a rope to pull off a rock, a large bridge over a gap, a tumbleweed catapult (mostly unique, suggestions are given to player by using special, ad-hoc designed objects).
The game starts in a harsh desert, where the Great Tumbleweed awakens and proceeds to gather the nearby tumbleweeds. All of a sudden, Satan himself sends a curse which causes the Great Tumbleweed to lose all its powers, scatter the friendly tumbleweeds and crack the ground. The Great Tumbleweed must now rebuild its legendary power.
Second level is mainly platforming, flaming devils will attack tumbleweeds in sight. Emphasis on exploration to find alternative routes.
Third level is the city. Of course the tumbleweeds couldn't just go around it. Final boss is a street-sweeper with a flamethrower trying to protect the city from the assault! He does not know the real thread the tumbleweeds are fighting and needs to be incapacitated.
After the boss is defeated, the game ends with a "bad" ending if you haven't saved enough tumbleweeds.
The game also ends here if playing on "easy" with a "so-so" ending.
Otherwise, satan's house collapses under the sheer weight of the mythical tumbleweed mountain. The great tumbleweed now chases satan to hell, where insta-kill is canon. Using its abilities (mainly grappling), The Great Tumbleweed must cause rocks to hit satan (there are no tumbleweeds to save here). Eventually defeated, satan is confined back to hell as The Great Tumbleweed uses hot air to gain back the surface. Congratulations! You won the game!
Now wait for Episode 2: can a bunch of tumbleweeds stop nuclear war?