Essentially here's plan for the User Accounts, Login Authentication, and Game Downloading as it stands now. I need to know if there are gaps, and how to fill them in, and whether or not I'm sane.
1) I will need to create a website (or a similar function) that allows for users to create accounts.
2) I will need to store these accounts in a database.
3) I will need to create software to act as the authentication server.
4) This authentication server will process incoming requests from a user's launcher when logging in, and verify it's a valid User.
5) The server will need to access the database for verification.
6) The server will return the verification results to the User.
7) If valid, the launcher will proceed.
8) The launcher checks if game is up to date, and updates if not.
9) I'll need a place to have the game files hosted.
10) I'll have to code the launcher to correctly install the files.
11) The launcher will create an instance of the Game Server and the Game Client, for actual gameplay.
So my questions are:
1) What is a good website hosting company?
2) How would I host my Authentication Server?
3) How would I host my game files for download?
4) A MySQL server would be best for a database of the user accounts, yes?
I'm going to have a playable state in the game before I even start worrying about login features. That's namely for when I need to manage other people playing the game.