Here's a quick demo of what I was talking about..
- My voice doing a slurp with some click at the end - processed with some flange, pitch bend, and 2 sets of ring modulation.
- Time taken 4 minutes.
- original ping is just a sine wav generated, added a volume envelope (fade out) is the first sound.
- sequenced in a sequencer with various effects thrown on quickly. Made a few variations with 2 sequences of sounds blended together
- last version is the 3rd one reversed, with a new pitch envelope.
- time taken - 5 minutes
- combination of the VocalPickup_01, the reversed version of SinePing_PickupSeq blended in, and the the end of the 1st sequenced effect of the sine ping mixed into the end of it.
- time taken 1 minute.
All up these took under 10 minutes to pop out all 3 versions.
I used sound forge to record and just butcher the sounds. Played with different settings of the effects until something sounded interesting and then went from there. Experimentation is the mother of invention.