1. Some good book recommendations on this career
2. How I can connect with other people that would like to use their skills to create game
3. (I'd like to hear what others think about this career
4. and how to approach it without attending college first)
1. Read FAQ 8: http://sloperama.com/advice/lesson8.htm
2. Networking is FAQ 54: http://sloperama.com/advice/lesson54.htm
3. Becoming a game designer (and then a lead designer) is like, the "dream job" of so many people! You have a lot of competition, and you need to go about it the smart way. That means getting into the industry, learning how the industry works, working hard, impressing not only yourself but those around you with little snippets of ideas here and there, and eventually working your way up.
4. Attending college first is absolutely recommended. It's just harder to get there without it. Read FAQ 3. http://sloperama.com/advice/designprep.htm