Searched and found the word 'pre-processing' (as expected) on that which makes it a variant of portal analysis and hierarchical pathfinding.
The two Symmetry Breaking methods discussed, broadly classified as search space pruning techniques
Rectangular Symmetry Reduction
- It preserves optimality.
- It has a small memory overhead in practice.
- Node insertion can be performed in constant time.
- It can speed up A* search by anywhere from several factors to an order of magnitude.
Jump Point Search
- It is optimal.
- It involves no pre-processing.
- It requires no extra-memory overheads.
- It can consistently speed up A* search by over 10 times; making it not only competitive with, but often better than, approximate techniques such as HPA*