• Create Account

Why are most American game companies horrible at character design

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

• You cannot reply to this topic
15 replies to this topic

#1 AngelStar   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 20 March 2000 - 06:49 AM

Can somebody please answer this question for me?

Sponsor:

#2 dog135   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 20 March 2000 - 07:01 AM

Deadlines. It''s not just game companies either. Just look at Microsoft.

Before a product is complete, they are already advertising it and giving release dates. The programers are pressured to finish before this date. This means that a lot of products are sent out before being theroughly debugged and QA''d. Then come the patches. After a product goes live, then the programmers have time to fix bugs and release patches and "service packs" (major patches) to fix all the stuff they never had time to fix before.

E:cb woof!

#3 Kylotan   Moderators   -  Reputation: 3333

Posted 20 March 2000 - 11:46 PM

The computer software buying public are unfortunately brainwashed into accepting software that is so bad that if it was a car, or a houehold appliance, you''d be entitled to a refund or replacement. Imagine if you had to keep going back to the dealer for several weeks after you bought a vehicle, to make sure that it could run on all sorts of roads, and to ensure that all the lights worked all the time, etc etc. The philosophy of putting something out that is only 80/90% finished and then posting patches on the net it is really unacceptable. I develop programs too - I know that eliminating all bugs is very difficult. But I''m sure making a car or washing machine is fairly complex too. When I pay for a product, it should work, and if it doesn''t, I am entitled to a version that does.

#4 EQuaL   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 21 March 2000 - 02:50 AM

it''s all about speed, americans want to get games out faster so they can conquer the market, but with this comes a not very good game, because developers are rushed to meet the deadline...

#5 Paladin   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 21 March 2000 - 03:20 AM

And this is the reason why Finnish, Russian, Belgian and other european games are released usually bug-free
There are many good examples:
REAP, Supreme Snowboard (aka Boarder Zone), Rage Of Mages, some strategy game with DEAD vs Live (which had only DOS support ... Basically, it seems to be that northern european developers use France and Germany to release their games, and these publishers don''t need tight deadlines.

#6 Captain Goatse   Banned   -  Reputation: 100

Posted 21 March 2000 - 04:29 AM

Because American burgerplayers are too humble, they play what they get. If TSR(with Blackisle) loads big pail of shit under their noses they just play it throught and say that it was cooooooooooooooooooooool, because it had coooooooooooooooooooooool graphics. Kiss my ass big fat ass money maker game developpers.

And again, this is for all trusts and monopoly companies like TSR(if there is something that could be played as rpg, tsr will licence it, remember Starcraft or Diablo, and still some stupid maniacs play them)Microsoft, Intell, 3dFX(Haahaa, Nvidia rocked them up and down because they became too greedy and they wanted to make their Voodoo chip as standard), Shell, Sony, Nintendo, Sega and others:

UP YOURS!!!!!!!
UP YOURS!!!!!!!

Time comes, time goes and I only am.

#7 dog135   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 21 March 2000 - 07:01 AM

This is yet another reason I like my Mac. Mac games are often released several months after the initial game is released. By that time, the patches have already been released and integrated into the Mac version. I rarely have any problems with any games I have. Microsoft is another thing though. I just simply don''t use any of their products.

Another thing I do to remedy bad software: Use the last minor version of the previous major version. I''ve been using OS 7.6 for years. Now I use OS 8.6. Having a slightly older version OS has never been a problem and if I use the most recent minor version (ie: "x.6") then it''ll have the most fixes in it.

#8 Chrono999   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 21 March 2000 - 09:51 AM

Since virtually every game(besides console RPGs) is made in the US what are you comparing them to

#9 Coconut   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 21 March 2000 - 12:37 PM

Arch@on, are you talking about Baldurs Gate? I loved that game and played all the way through it 4 times! It was, I thought, one of the greatest games of the year. It also made a buttload of money so I applause the developers.

My .02 cents

Brent Robinson
"What if this is as good as it gets?"

#10 kressilac   Members   -  Reputation: 110

Posted 22 March 2000 - 03:40 AM

In a way we all play what we can get. Hard Core gamers are looking for the promise land of games. They look for the game that is going to allow them to leave this reality for extended periods of time. The game that won''t require you to answer when your girlfriend tells you that you love Lara more than her. The game that keeps you up on Mountain Dew for 98 hours straight because you just have to complete this one level. Because of this, gamers are extremely inelastic in demand with respect to a title that aproaches this dream. If the title is hyped to the point where we believe it is the next best thing then we buy it. After the disappointment we forget it and move on to the next game, keeping the faith that someday the game will come along that you can buy and play forever without getting bored. In a way we are all playing what we are given. It also happens to be the primary reason the game industry has thousands of development studios. When you get frustrated you enter the market thinking you can do it your way and be better than everyone else. God I love competition. Arch@on, if you feel as strongly as you do about things then take action, build your company, release your game, and takes us all to the promise land. I will thank you for it in the end because you will have saved me the work of building my own game heaven.

Kressilac
ps While writing this, I couldn''t help but think that games have a stonger pull than some world religions. Now only if I could get this pull backed by a government that I controlled. With its armies mobilized and the right political strategies, I could take over the world. (whew too many Pinky and The Brain reruns for me)

#11 SonicSilcion   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 22 March 2000 - 04:08 AM

I usully don''t buy a game right when it''s released. Used to be because I''d forget to, but now it''s to see if I have compatible hardware first. The one thing I''m most often dissapointed wih is the story/acting in a game. It always feel like the writers and talent were rushed in the production of these games, and that usually turns out to be true.
____I can wait for a whole year [sometimes two, like in the Babylon 5 space fighter case. Too, bad it got axed.] I gladly would have waited an extra month for the PC port of Final Fantasy 7 [gee, has anyone noticed I''m fixated] if they had cleaned up the translation. But, nope! Couldn''t do that. [Heck, they could''ve done it in the time it took to port.] But companies always feel rushed. I mean, look at Daikatana or Diablo II. How many years have players been waiting for these games [and why did the stores keep trying to sell them before the KNEW they were going to be released?
____It does seem like the overseas market [except possibly Japan] are more lax about release dates and development time. I think it was 3, maybe 4 years for the sequel to Twinsen''s Adventure [LBA] to come out, and I know it was worth the wait.

#12 kressilac   Members   -  Reputation: 110

Posted 22 March 2000 - 07:35 AM

One phrase:

Public companies on Wall Street must produce quarterly earnings.

As americans, our business lives and dies by this mantra. Forget the rest of the world because it would take a wholesale rewrite of the financial institutions in the US for the market to be relieved of quarterly earnings. This quarterly requirement drives deadlines and productions schedules at every publisher and game developer.

Its all really simple when you think about it from that perspective. Couple this idea with money in hand now is better than in hand in the future (because of the interest earnings money in hand now brings) and it easily becomes visible that in most companies it is about money at some point and not about the game. Even the small developer who swears its only about the game is eventually faced with the money centered view of some publisher out there. Inevitably this corrupts all.

Kressilac
ps On the flip side of this holy argument, it is this same money centric focus that makes the United States the land of opportunity. It is what makes this country the greatest country in the world to live in.

Edited by - kressilac on 3/22/00 1:37:21 PM

#13 Kylotan   Moderators   -  Reputation: 3333

Posted 23 March 2000 - 03:10 AM

quote:
Original post by Chrono999

Since virtually every game(besides console RPGs) is made in the US what are you comparing them to

Hardly. Numerous games are made on the European continent and also a very large amount come from the UK. Tomb Raider, Syndicate, Dungeon Keeper and Theme Park are some of the more well-known ones.

#14 dog135   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 23 March 2000 - 05:29 AM

I guess that''d explain lora''s british accent.

#15 Kaspian   Members   -  Reputation: 122

Posted 27 March 2000 - 06:53 PM

Don''t forget Gran Tourismo 2 when it was released for North America. The game was innundated with bugs, and wasn''t 100% complete (for shame, for shame!). Was the game botched in Europe too? (Has it been released in Europe)

#16 Joviex   Members   -  Reputation: 244

Posted 27 March 2000 - 07:40 PM

quote:
Original post by Arch@on

And again, this is for all trusts and monopoly companies like TSR(if there is something that could be played as rpg, tsr will licence it, remember Starcraft or Diablo, and still some stupid maniacs play them)Microsoft, Intell, 3dFX(Haahaa, Nvidia rocked them up and down because they became too greedy and they wanted to make their Voodoo chip as standard), Shell, Sony, Nintendo, Sega and others:

Time comes, time goes and I only am.

You do realize that Hasbro owns TSR as well as Wizards of the Coast. Blame them :p

www.bworks.com

Old topic!
Guest, the last post of this topic is over 60 days old and at this point you may not reply in this topic. If you wish to continue this conversation start a new topic.

PARTNERS